- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)45
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)6
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)35
- Tanker truck catches fire near Oak Ridge (04/24/16)7
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
Area sports digest 9/13/07
Southeast baseball adds assistant
Former University of Missouri player J.C. Field has joined the Southeast Missouri State baseball program as a volunteer assistant coach.
Field, a native of Tucson, Ariz., was a catcher for the Tigers in 2005 and 2006 after transferring from Pima (Ariz.) Community College.
Field started 54 games for Missouri's 2006 regional championship team, after starting 33 games for the Tigers in 2005.
This year, Field played professionally for the Evansville Otters independent team.
"Any time you can add someone with his experience, it helps the program," Southeast coach Mark Hogan said in a release. "He will help out in many facets, including working with the catchers."
Southeast product joins Patriots
Former Southeast football player Dan Connolly was signed to the New England Patriots' practice squad Wednesday.
Connolly, an offensive lineman who completed his eligibility at Southeast in 2004, was released by the Jacksonville Jaguars on Sept. 1.
Connolly originally made Jacksonville's roster in 2005 as an undrafted free agent. He saw limited action in four games, then spent all of last season on injured reserve.
All NFL teams are allowed to carry up to eight players on their practice squad.
-- From staff reports