- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)49
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says cops’ good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Hopper Road to close for months during construction of Veterans Drive (04/27/16)9
Area digest 12/2/03
Otahkians' Cotton is OVC newcomer of the week
Southeast Missouri State University's Sami Jo Cotton is the Ohio Valley Conference newcomer of the week for women's basketball, the league announced Monday.
Cotton, a 5-foot-7 junior guard who transferred from a junior college, average 9.3 points and three rebounds during the Otahkians' three games last week.
Southeast volleyball team signs three prep seniors
Three high school seniors have signed letters of intent to play volleyball next season at Southeast.
The three are Brenna Schlader, a 6-foot-3 middle blocker from Hickman High School in Columbia, Mo.; Shannon Muesenfechter, a 5-11 hitter from Incarnate Word Academy in St. Louis; and Brittany Hastings, a 5-11 hitter from Circle High School in El Dorado, Kan.
Schlader helped lead Hickman to a 32-2 record and district championship this year.
Muesenfechter helped lead Incarnate Word to a state championship and a No. 14 national ranking. She also played for a club team that won a national title in 2002.
Hastings is Circle's single-season kills record-holder and was the team MVP the last two years.
-- From staff reports