- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)46
- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)41
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)3
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
CAIRO, Ill. -- Mary E. Maddox, 96, of Cairo died Saturday, Nov. 23, 2003, at the Lutheran Home in Cape Girardeau.
She was born Aug. 27, 1907, in Cairo, daughter of William S. and Anne Taggart Hurst. She married Merlin M. Maddox, who died in 1984.
Maddox was a 1924 graduate of Cairo High School. She was a secretary for the U.S. Immigration Service 30 years.
Surviving are nieces and nephews, including a local niece and caregiver, Pat Patton of Cape Girardeau.
She was preceded in death by a brother.
Graveside service will be at 11:30 a.m. Friday at U.S. National Cemetery in Mound City, Ill., with the Rev. James Fortenberry officiating.
Barkett Funeral Home in Cairo is in charge of arrangements.