- Longtime downtown Cape bartender Marcellus Jones remembered by friends (6/12/18)2
- Peter Kinder resigns federal agency post, concludes position unnecessary and waste of tax dollars (6/16/18)2
- Stormy Daniels to visit East Cape Girardeau (6/13/18)20
- Singer Neal Boyd dies after struggle with health issues (6/12/18)1
- Feeding deer in Bollinger, Cape and Perry counties prohibited soon to help curb spread of CWD (6/13/18)7
- Cape man charged with stabbing, killing dog for revenge (6/8/18)9
- Couple charged in beating death at Brick's (6/13/18)
- A community rallies behind Honorable Young Men's Club (6/16/18)
- New Zaxby's restaurant open in Cape (6/13/18)3
- New urban dance studio opens on Broadway (6/15/18)2
Gay marriage is nonissue, clouds real concerns
To the editor:
Peter Kinder's column, "Marriage diktat," struck a chord with me. Why has it become acceptable in American society, supposedly the bastion of freedom of thought, to impose one's personal beliefs on others? The entire point about the Massachusetts court case, which is explicitly blamed on "liberal" thinking, is that humans are created equal. Or so the second-most sacred document in America, the Declaration of Independence, would have us believe.
Despite the rhetoric, gay marriage will not affect a single one of its loudest opponents. Will denying two homosexuals the right to marry cause a dysfunctional heterosexual marriage to mend itself? Will allowing those two partners to marry affect the ability of any other couple to have a healthy and happy marriage? Will you even think about their marriage, other than when listening to someone tell you from a pulpit that it's wrong? This is a nonissue.
The problems in Iraq, Medicare's potential selling out to pharmaceutical companies, the nonfunding of No Child Left Behind, the continuing destruction of the environment by Big Business and the jobless recovery are real issues.
I hold myself to be a moderate and an independent. I am a 1999 graduate of Central High School in Cape Girardeau as well as a 2003 graduate of Luther College. I'm tired of having real issues drowned out by nonissues like gay marriage.