- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)42
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)6
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)31
- Tanker truck catches fire near Oak Ridge (04/24/16)7
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
Police arrest suspect in Cape robbery
By Bridget DiCosmo
Cape Girardeau police arrested a suspect in connection with a robbery that occurred behind the floodwall in downtown Cape Girardeau.
Mikeem R. Daniel, 17, of Haywood City, Mo., was arrested around 7:15 p.m. Friday.
The robbery occurred Aug. 23 around 8:30 p.m. The victim told police she had been walking along the water side of the floodwall when a teenager and a juvenile who looked to be about 12 years old approached her and began making casual conversation, according to a probable-cause statement written by Cpl. Don Perry.
When the victim turned to go, she said she was struck on the side of the head by the older male, and felt him grab her purse before they ran off.
The victim suffered a large laceration near her left eyebrow and a swollen eye, according to the sworn statement.
On Aug. 29, police received information leading to the charges against Daniel when they interviewed a woman who said Daniel told her Aug. 23 he was going to rob someone.
The witness told police that Daniel described making small talk with the victim, "hitting her as hard as he could," and grabbing her purse.
The victim picked Daniel out of a sequential photo lineup.
Daniel is being held at the Cape Girardeau jail on $100,000 bond.
335-6611, extension 245