- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)49
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says cops’ good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Hopper Road to close for months during construction of Veterans Drive (04/27/16)9
Community digest 8/23/07
United Days of Caring begins today
A pancake breakfast at 8 a.m. today at the Salvation Army will begin the three-day long "United Days of Caring," sponsored by the United Way of Southeast Missouri and the Volunteer Intergenerational Center. Cape Girardeau Mayor Jay Knudtson and Jackson Mayor Barbara Lohr will cook the meal that kicks off the opportunity for civic engagement in their communities. Days of Caring provides an opportunity for volunteerism while local not-for-profit agencies can showcase their organizations. For more information, call the United Way at 334-9634 or the Volunteer Intergenerational Center at 335-7555.
Poker run to benefit Lee Glastetter
The WarChild Riding Group will hold a benefit poker run Saturday at the Big Blue Martini in East Cape Girardeau, Ill. Last bike out is at 11 a.m., and the last bike is due in at 4 p.m. Proceeds will benefit Lee Glastetter, who was involved in a fall that left him paralyzed. He is a lifelong biker, active with the SEMO HOG Chapter and WarChild Riding Group. Call Larbo Eyler at 334-2665 for more information.
Archery club hosts St. Jude fund-raiser
Four Corners Archery Club will have a fund-raiser for St. Jude Children's Research Hospital at 7 a.m. Saturday at Four Corners Archery Club. Take Highway 72 to Route O and follow the signs. The menu includes buffalo burgers, catfish fillets, chicken tenders, French fries, battered mushrooms and campfire beans. Competition with traditional shooters will include a wethead contest; a novelty poker shoot, balloon shoot and spinning target shoot. Call Curtis Waggoner at (573) 866-0046 or e-mail email@example.com for more information.
Sunday meeting postponed because of heat
The 30th annual homecoming of the Trinity Methodist Church and Cemetery Association is postponed, due to heat, from Sunday to 2 to 4 p.m. Oct. 7. It will be held on church grounds, three miles west of Delta on Route N. Bring photos and lawn chairs. Call (573) 887-6925 or (573) 887-6900 for more information.
VFW Ladies Auxiliary hosts district meeting
The Chaffee VFW No. 3127 will host one of the annual district meetings for the 15th district beginning at 10:30 a.m. Sunday. Lunch will be served at 1 p.m. For more information, contact commander Jim Haney at 887-3013.
-- From staff reports