- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)49
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says cops’ good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Hopper Road to close for months during construction of Veterans Drive (04/27/16)9
ANNA, Ill. -- Melvin W. Schlichting, 84, of Anna died Monday, Aug. 20, 2007, at Illinois Veterans Home in Anna.
He was born June 30, 1923, at Wittenberg, Mo., son of Karl and Marie Mangels Schlichting. He and Frances Deming were married Feb. 7, 1948, in Anna. She died Aug. 16, 2002.
Schlichting was a mental health technician at Choate Mental Health and Developmental Center from 1957 to 1983. He also farmed more than 50 years. He was a member of Trinity Lutheran Church, and life member of Carroll P. Foster VFW Post 3455.
A veteran of the U.S. Navy, he served on the USS The Sullivans during World War II.
Survivors include a daughter, Gail Rion of Lick Creek, Ill.; a sister, Nelda Petrie of Fort Collins, Colo.; two grandchildren; and a great-grandson.
He was preceded in death by four sisters and two brothers.
Visitation will be from 5 to 8 p.m. Thursday and until time of service Friday at Lutz and Rendleman Funeral Home in Anna.
The funeral will be at 11 a.m. Friday at the funeral home, with Paul Weber officiating. Burial will be in Casper Cemetery near Anna with military honors conducted by VFW Post 3455.