Silver-Haired Legislators councilwoman petitions Congress to help elderly

Monday, August 20, 2007

The National Council of Silver-Haired Legislators held its annual meeting at St. Louis recently, with Lt. Governor Peter D. Kinder as special guest speaker. Kinder serves as the official senior advocate for Missouri.

Cory Grah of Marble Hill, Mo., a lifetime member of the council, was one of the many delegates from 27 states who attended the convention. She has served on the Missouri Silver-Haired Legislature in St. Louis from 1994 to 1997 and is now a member of the SEMO Silver Haired Legislators. Grah is also an appointed member of the Nutrition Center Advisory Board in Marble Hill and an active member of Forgotten Elderly Americans since 1989.

Grah has petitioned Congress seeking equality for elderly taxpayers nationwide who are denied earned Social Security by the Government Pension Offset and WEP law and is an advocate for widows who are denied Social Security.

Grah addressed the convention regarding denial of earned Social Security to elderly taxpayers. She dispersed pertinent Social Security data and requested that all delegates support the passage of HR 82, a bill to repeal the Government Pension Offset and WEP Law. The GPO and WEP laws deny earned Social Security to many taxpayers of low income, Groh said.

The House Ways and Means subcommittee urges all taxpayers denied earned Social Security to write a detailed letter to the committee explaining how the loss of promised earned Social Security will financially affect their retirement. The subcommittee plans to revaluate HR 82 in October. All letters must be receieved prior to that date.

Grah stressed that it was important for constituents nationwide to also tell their congressional representative how important it is to repeal the GPO and WEP laws.

Letters may be addressed to Joel Najar, Professional Staff, U.S. House of Representatives, House Ways and Means Committee, sub­committee for Social Security, 1129 Longworth, Washington, DC 20515. More information on HR 82 is available by calling (202) 225-3625.

335-6611, extension 133

Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: