- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)40
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Ray's of Kelso, Plaza by Ray's to change ownership; Fonn to buy enterprise (04/20/16)3
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)6
- Cape council approves nearly $1M in park, sculpture projects with little public discussion (04/22/16)37
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Tanker truck catches fire near Oak Ridge (04/24/16)7
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
Southeast press set to release new book
The Southeast Missouri State University Press will release its newest book, "Murder on Rouse Hill," Aug. 30. The book is based on the true story of an unsolved murder in Stoutland, Mo., that occurred in 1915, and is written by Alan Terry Wright of St. Louis. The book will be available at Barnes and Noble, the Southeast Bookstore and Broadway Books and Roasting, and can be pre-ordered at www6.semo.edu/universitypress or from Amazon.com.
Metal show coming to Main Street Bar
Banned Promotions will host a heavy metal concert, Metal Madness 2, at Main Street Bar in Cape Girardeau at 7 p.m. Sept. 1. Bands on the bill include Finding Jimmy Hoffa, Ireyerta, Knotted Fear, Horizontal Orange, Maelstrom, Butchered and Emaciation. For more information, visit bannedpromotions.com/metalmadness2.
Bingham exhibition opens Oct. 12
ST. LOUIS -- The St. Louis Art Museum will show an exhibition of work by George Caleb Bingham called "The Making of 'The County Election.'" Nearly 30 drawings, prints and engraving plates on view with Bingham's famous "The County Election" painting give viewers an insight into Bingham's creative process. For more information call (314) 721-0072 or visit www.slam.org.
Red House to host arts and crafts day Saturday
The Red House Interpretive Center will host an Arts and Crafts Day from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday. Jeanie Eddleman, Carol Poole, Rose Wiesler, Joan Pierce, Betina Layton, Connie Hanner, Lise Thomsen and Linda Royce will be the featured artists and craftspeople in honor of women's month.
Arts council schedules St. Louis trip Sept. 14
The Arts Council of Southeast Missouri is sponsoring a bus trip to St. Louis on Sept. 14 to visit the Contemporary Art Museum to view new sculptures, drawings and installations by Maya Lin, the creator of the Vietnam Veterans Memorial. Following the museum visit the group will head to the Delmar Loop. After lunch the group will head to the St. Louis Art Museum to view "Symbols of Power: Napoleon and the Art of the Empire Style." Seating is limited. To reserve a place on the trip call the Arts Council at 334-9233.
Mem Shannon tickets now on sale
New Orleans blues/funk band Mem Shannon and the Membership will perform Aug. 30 at The Listening Room, a music venue above Garden Gallery. Tickets are on sale now at Pmac Music and Garden Gallery. For more information on the band, visit memshannon.com.
-- From staff reports