Fire at Scott City mobile home

Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Scotty City firefighters responded to a structure fire late Tuesday afternoon. The fire occurred around 4 p.m. at a mobile home park at 119 E. 10th Street. Neighbors pulling into their driveway noticed the fire and called authorities, saying the elderly resident of the home was still inside, said Scott City Fire Chief Jay Cassout.

An overhaul of the mobile home was necessary but the fire was put out shortly. The resident, who had been at home at the time, said the fire started inside the microwave oven, Cassout said.

She had been cooking something inside the microwave and heard a loud pop, said Cassout.

About 50 percent of the home was damaged, including furniture and items inside the house that were lost, said Cassout.

Smoke and heat caused the majority of the damage, said Cassout.

Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: