- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)42
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)6
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)23
- Tanker truck catches fire near Oak Ridge (04/24/16)7
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
Verna V. Shelton, 91, of Cape Girardeau died Sunday, Nov. 16, 2003, at Southeast Missouri Hospital.
She was born June 14, 1912, in Washington, Mo., daughter of George T. and Minnie Evert Hawkins. She and George Shelton Jr. were married May 10, 1931, at Jonesburg, Mo. He died Nov. 28, 1994.
Shelton was a graduate of Washington High School, where she was an all star basketball player.
Survivors include a daughter, Patricia Beran of Chesterfield, Mo.; a son, James Shelton of Jackson; three grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren.
She was preceded in death by two sisters.
Friends may call at Ford and Sons Mount Auburn Funeral Home from noon to 2 p.m. Friday.
The funeral will be at 2 p.m. Friday at the funeral home, with the Rev. Scott Moon officiating. Entombment will be in Cape County Memorial Park Mausoleum.