- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)49
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says copsí good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Hopper Road to close for months during construction of Veterans Drive (04/27/16)9
Nude swimmer found by Coast Guard
LONG BEACH, N.Y. -- A man who decided to go for a late night swim in the buff was found hours later by rescue crews, hiding under a pier not far from where he jumped in the water, authorities said Sunday.
Neal Mello, 37, of Brooklyn, was found around 5:30 a.m., and appeared to be in good physical condition but was "without the benefit of a swimsuit," the Coast Guard said in a release.
"Mr. Mello's modesty may have been harmed, but he could have done himself worse by not swallowing his pride and showing himself to rescuers when he did," Lt. Douglas Miller said.
Mello had stripped off his clothes and went in the water around 9:20 p.m. Saturday, the U.S. Coast Guard said. When he was still gone at 10 p.m., a friend called for help.
The search extended about 5 miles offshore and involved boats and a helicopter. Mello's clothes, wallet and cell phone were found on the shore.