- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)47
- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)42
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)3
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
Teenager drowns in Meramec River during family outing
BALLWIN, Mo. -- A 15-year-old boy drowned Sunday in the Meramec River during a family outing.
Isaiah Green was swimming in the river around 3 p.m. at Castlewood State Park in St. Louis County when he cried for help, emergency responders said.
The Missouri State Water Patrol reported the boy began slipping on the silty bottom and went under when he tried to remove his water shoes.
Battalion Chief Ed Beirne with Metro West Fire District in Ballwin said six divers and a canine searched for 40 minutes before locating the boy.
Isaiah was visiting family from Brooklyn, N.Y.
Beirne said the river has a strong current, and an irregular bottom littered with trash and debris. He said the river is dangerous for swimming and diving.
In July last year, four siblings and a fifth child drowned in the river during a church picnic.