- Marble Hill fires entire sewer department (8/23/16)3
- Witness says he saw man shoot Domorlo McCaster (8/19/16)2
- Students move into new fraternity housing at Southeast Missouri State University (8/18/16)2
- Southeast imposes 'interim suspension' of Sigma Nu fraternity over vandalism incident (8/19/16)21
- Ex-Southeast student gets probation for placing homemade sex video on porn site without woman's knowledge (8/24/16)4
- The Chrome Queens (8/21/16)2
- Pitmasters to descend on Arena Park for Cape BBQ Fest (8/19/16)2
- Logan's Roadhouse in Cape not closing; Ruby Tuesday fate still unknown (8/17/16)
- Local private school dreams bigger, plans for new building at Sprigg and Lexington (8/22/16)
- Gender-neutral restrooms now available at Southeast (8/18/16)38
Mistakes reek of kickback era
To the editor:Who were the idiots who accepted the plans and specifications for the new federal courthouse? And who were the inspectors and what were they doing while these mistakes were going on?
This reeks of kickbacks and sounds like something out of the 1960s and 1970s when big jobs were going on in the area. The contractor would take work from one craft and give it to another to cause trouble. Of course, a dispute would follow, which was blamed on unions and cost overruns.
Nowadays unions try to work together more to stop this from happening, and I suppose contractors have to make a little more in extras.
BOB JOHNSON, Jackson