- Woman's post about 'Back the Blue' sign in Jackson coffee shop prompts firing from nearby bar (8/15/17)11
- Scott City man dies in motorcycle crash near Millersville (8/13/17)
- Sands Pancake House moving to Morgan Oak location (8/11/17)1
- Stoogefest headliner cancels, cites NAACP travel advisory in Missouri (8/15/17)2
- Cape movie theater to feature recliners, new food and drink options (8/11/17)3
- Teen convicted of shooting area woman in 2015 (8/13/17)
- Man accused of making terror threats against dental office (8/13/17)
- Councilman: Scott City mayor, city administrator resigned (8/15/17)4
- Woman dies in house fire in Cape Girardeau County (8/16/17)
- How to save a life: Lifeguards resuscitated young girl at Cape Splash (8/17/17)2
Mistakes reek of kickback era
To the editor:Who were the idiots who accepted the plans and specifications for the new federal courthouse? And who were the inspectors and what were they doing while these mistakes were going on?
This reeks of kickbacks and sounds like something out of the 1960s and 1970s when big jobs were going on in the area. The contractor would take work from one craft and give it to another to cause trouble. Of course, a dispute would follow, which was blamed on unions and cost overruns.
Nowadays unions try to work together more to stop this from happening, and I suppose contractors have to make a little more in extras.
BOB JOHNSON, Jackson