- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)39
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Ray's of Kelso, Plaza by Ray's to change ownership; Fonn to buy enterprise (04/20/16)3
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)4
- Cape council approves nearly $1M in park, sculpture projects with little public discussion (04/22/16)37
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Tanker truck catches fire near Oak Ridge (04/24/16)7
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
After tourney runner-up finish, Redhawks selected for sixth
Southeast Missouri State was tabbed for the middle of the pack -- sixth out of 11 -- in the preseason poll of Ohio Valley Conference women's volleyball coaches and sports information directors.
Southeast finished 8-8 in the conference last year and 16-18 overall in its second season under coach Renata Nowacki. The team won 16 games the previous year as well with a 11-5 OVC mark.
But the Redhawks finished well, reaching the OVC tournament championship game before bowing in straight sets to Jacksonville State.
The Gamecocks, 24-5 last year and 16-0 in the OVC, topped the poll with 18 of 22 first-place votes and 197 total points. Jacksonville State had two preseason all-conference first-team picks in Abby Breit and Brittney Whitten as well as a second-team choice.
Morehead State was second with three first-place votes and 160 points.
Southeast Missouri State compiled 125 points to finish behind Murray State and ahead of Tennessee Tech.
Senior middle blocker Brenna Schlader of Southeast was named to the preseason second team.
The 6-foot-3 senior led the team in blocks last year with 113 for an average of 0.94 per game.
The Redhawks open the season Aug. 24 and 25 at the Nike/Active Ankle Invitational in Muncie, Ind.
OVC predictedorder of finish
|Team (First-place votes)||Points|
|Jacksonville State (18)||197|
|Morehead State (3)||160|
|Murray State (1)||133|