- Deputies: Man, woman tried to arrange killing of his estranged wife (5/21/17)1
- Former coroner convicted of felony theft now faces prison in misdemeanor case (5/23/17)2
- Cape police say man assaulted, kidnapped girlfriend (5/21/17)2
- Woman may lose foot after being hit by moped (5/24/17)
- Mississippi County sheriff fights efforts in court to remove him from office (5/21/17)4
- Business notebook: Woman, sister-in-law buy Perryville custom-wear shop (5/22/17)
- Cape man accused of shooting a woman in Jackson (5/21/17)
- Police apprehend Charleston man they say hit Cape woman with car (5/24/17)
- Illinois Trail of Tears site where Cherokee buried named to National Historic Register (5/24/17)
- Broadening horizons: Heartland Dream Team founder stays committed to area youth (5/21/17)2
Republic needs God's guidance more than judges
To the editor:
I read David Limbaugh's piece on judicial activism, and he really hit the nail on the head, calling it insidious.
It's bad enough that some judges reinterpret the U.S. Constitution to suit their own political ideas: support and protect sodomy, pull the Ten Commandments off and out of all public buildings and take prayer and Bible study out of schools. Now we have U.S. Supreme Court justices embracing the idea of considering the decisions of foreign courts when deciding cases here in American courts. This must not be.
Our Constitution is uniquely designed for our own system of government, not to be influenced by any other government system.
That is the way the Founding Fathers wrote it. The Revolutionaries fought hard and died to break the shackles of tyranny to attain freedom and sovereignty. They did this to be free to think for themselves and not have someone tell them what they ought to think or do.
We do not need to think multilaterally when it comes to administering justice or setting or enforcing foreign policy. Our republic can do both very well without any foreign influence or opinions. All it takes is the guiding hand of God and the leaders he anoints to lead this great nation.