- Woman's post about 'Back the Blue' sign in Jackson coffee shop prompts firing from nearby bar (8/15/17)11
- How to save a life: Lifeguards resuscitated young girl at Cape Splash (8/17/17)2
- Stoogefest headliner cancels, cites NAACP travel advisory in Missouri (8/15/17)2
- Councilman: Scott City mayor, city administrator resigned (8/15/17)4
- Chaffee man charged with attempting to have ex-wife killed (8/20/17)3
- Woman dies in house fire in Cape Girardeau County (8/16/17)
- Scott City school chief gets raise, while some teachers don't (8/17/17)6
- Scott City man dies in motorcycle crash near Millersville (8/13/17)
- Former Chaffee officer faces DWI charge (8/20/17)2
- 'Love, not hate': Area residents gather to sing, talk about racial issues after violence in Charlottesville (8/14/17)89
Salute to veterans
Each year, Veterans Day is a day set aside to honor all those who have served in the armed forces.
But it seems to take on even more meaning in years when we have soldiers who are, in the name of liberty, answering the call to arms.
This is such a year.
We have several local members of the Missouri National Guard and U.S. Army Reserves who have been on active duty for months, serving in various capacities around the globe.
There are also many people who hail from this area who are full-time members of all branches of the military.
In fact, just last week, our own 1140th Engineer Battalion, the National Guard unit based in Cape Girardeau, was put on alert. It faces the very real possibility of joining the troops overseas in the dangerous effort to rebuild war-torn Iraq.
The job of soldier continues to be meaningful.
So today, let's honor those men and women who have dedicated their lives and, in many ways, the lives of their families, to the defense of liberty and freedom that Americans hold so dear.
Let's also do what we should feel duty bound to do every year -- remember the sacrifices that have been made on behalf of this country by those serving in uniform.
It is our honor and privilege to salute the men and women of the U.S. Armed Forces.