- Two men accused of selling meth to undercover cop (6/22/17)
- Cape man stabbed in head, arm after strip-club incident; skull fractured, police say (6/25/17)3
- Custom cuts: Local hairstylist provides free haircuts to special-needs children (6/26/17)3
- Police: Man grabbed wheel, tried to kill driver and himself in Jackson crash (6/23/17)
- Jackson scores high in survey of residents; better streets, Aldi are high priorities (6/20/17)4
- Annual SEMO District Fair event lineup announced (6/23/17)1
- Marble Hill mayor hires city manager without board approval (6/21/17)4
- Oran town board fired officer before hiring him as police chief; city officials say they can't remember reason for firing (6/25/17)2
- Playing with fire (6/25/17)
- Two charged in theft of jewelry from Cape storage facility (6/23/17)1
Salute to veterans
Each year, Veterans Day is a day set aside to honor all those who have served in the armed forces.
But it seems to take on even more meaning in years when we have soldiers who are, in the name of liberty, answering the call to arms.
This is such a year.
We have several local members of the Missouri National Guard and U.S. Army Reserves who have been on active duty for months, serving in various capacities around the globe.
There are also many people who hail from this area who are full-time members of all branches of the military.
In fact, just last week, our own 1140th Engineer Battalion, the National Guard unit based in Cape Girardeau, was put on alert. It faces the very real possibility of joining the troops overseas in the dangerous effort to rebuild war-torn Iraq.
The job of soldier continues to be meaningful.
So today, let's honor those men and women who have dedicated their lives and, in many ways, the lives of their families, to the defense of liberty and freedom that Americans hold so dear.
Let's also do what we should feel duty bound to do every year -- remember the sacrifices that have been made on behalf of this country by those serving in uniform.
It is our honor and privilege to salute the men and women of the U.S. Armed Forces.