- Plans in the works to save Esquire Theater on Broadway in Cape (2/21/18)2
- Man transitioning to woman killed herself in Cape City Jail in June; news comes from architect's pitch in Kansas (2/15/18)2
- Bell City arrest, Scott City incident highlight high-alert status following Fla. school shooting (2/20/18)4
- Cape Girardeau businessman proposes redevelopment project; seeks taxing district to fund improvements (2/17/18)16
- Pence gets it right in response to attack on Christian faith (2/17/18)12
- As February winds down, Chaffee looking forward to reopening of ice cream shop (2/21/18)1
- Scott City puts school on lockdown; officials say alleged threat 'not credible' (2/21/18)2
- The heart of the matter: Clinic helps patients rise above congestive heart failure (2/17/18)
- Local foodies share most romantic places (2/22/18)
- Missouri governor indicted on invasion of privacy charge (2/23/18)6
Salute to veterans
Each year, Veterans Day is a day set aside to honor all those who have served in the armed forces.
But it seems to take on even more meaning in years when we have soldiers who are, in the name of liberty, answering the call to arms.
This is such a year.
We have several local members of the Missouri National Guard and U.S. Army Reserves who have been on active duty for months, serving in various capacities around the globe.
There are also many people who hail from this area who are full-time members of all branches of the military.
In fact, just last week, our own 1140th Engineer Battalion, the National Guard unit based in Cape Girardeau, was put on alert. It faces the very real possibility of joining the troops overseas in the dangerous effort to rebuild war-torn Iraq.
The job of soldier continues to be meaningful.
So today, let's honor those men and women who have dedicated their lives and, in many ways, the lives of their families, to the defense of liberty and freedom that Americans hold so dear.
Let's also do what we should feel duty bound to do every year -- remember the sacrifices that have been made on behalf of this country by those serving in uniform.
It is our honor and privilege to salute the men and women of the U.S. Armed Forces.