Out of the past 11/1/03

Saturday, November 1, 2003

10 years ago: Nov. 1, 1993

First of about 850 street signs are installed in county as part of comprehensive addressing project for county-wide enhanced 911 system; all streets and roads have been assigned conventional street names and corresponding house numbers.

St. Louis -- Southeast Missouri State University's proposed business building ranks fourth among eight new construction projects that Missouri Coordinating Board for Higher Education has recommended for funding in 1995 fiscal year; board of regents, meeting in St. Louis, says it is pleased with recommendations for Cape Girardeau school.

25 years ago: Nov. 1, 1978

Lingering doubts about starting up bus transit system in Cape Girardeau are expressed by all but one councilman as issue again is discussed before city council; four members express reluctance to commit city to paying projected $90,000 deficit for operation of system; Councilman Samuel L. Gill is the exception.

Girardeau Contractors Inc. has begun overlaying seven streets for which bids were awarded in October; it completes Kurre Lane overlay today, and tomorrow company will begin work in 1400 and 1500 blocks of North Main.

50 years ago: Nov. 1, 1953

The Right Rev. Arthur C. Lichtenberger, bishop of Diocese of Missouri, officiates at morning service at Christ Episcopal Church and confirms nine people into church membership; they are Mrs. Homer Brown, Mrs. Dan Frissell of Essex, H. Denny Davis, Mrs. Stanley Carey Jr., Tim and Tom Ohlandt, Martha Vandivort, Julia M. Vandivort and Katherine McDonald.

Bishop Charles H. Helmsing, auxiliary bishop of Catholic Archdiocese of St. Louis, officiates at cornerstone-laying ceremonies at new Catholic High School in afternoon; bishop tells crowd of more than 1,000 that if "our people follow the principles to be taught here by the Sisters of Notre Dame, the results will benefit the community, state and nation."

75 years ago: Nov. 1, 1928

Sale of two apartment houses in Cape Girardeau is announced; Bellevue apartment on Bellevue street is sold by Dr. Warren Short to Mrs. S.B. Hunter; Lorimier apartment on South Lorimier street is sold by Judge Will Hirsch to Henry Walters, president of bank at Steeleville, Ill.

Mrs. Julian Dearmont, who formerly lived in Cape Girardeau, is visiting her mother-in-law and brother-in-law, Mrs. W.S. and Russell Dearmont, 901 College Hill; she will be sailing Nov. 14 for five-year stay in Rome, Italy, where she will be professor of English at Methodist college.

-- Sharon K. Sanders

Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: