Out of the past 7/28/07

Saturday, July 28, 2007

25 years ago: July 28, 1982

A plan, formulated by Cape Girardeau County Emergency Preparedness director Brian Miller, to use Jackson School District buses in times of "grave emergency" has been given approval by the Jackson school board.

Jackson Chamber of Commerce members and area farmers tour the LaPierre-Sawyer Handle Factory in Jackson; the visit is part of the annual farm and business tour sponsored by the chamber and the Cape County Pork Producers; the handle factory has been operating in Jackson for more than 80 years.

50 years ago: July 28, 1957

A revival in one of the world's largest gospel tents is being conducted in Cape Girardeau by the Rev. Gayle Jackson of Sikeston, Mo.; the meetings are being held nightly in the tent on Clark Avenue, one block south of Broadway; the revival is being sponsored by the First Assembly of God Church.

Neighbors and friends of the Ola E. Turner family surprise Mr. and Mrs. Turner in the evening at their home and present them a farewell gift; the Turners, 200 N. Boulevard, will move about Aug. 10 to a home they are building in Advance, Mo.

75 years ago: July 28, 1932

Last night, a "flock" of grasshoppers invaded Jackson, and the horde is still present this morning, although in diminished numbers; the insects covered the sidewalks and lawns in thousands.

T.J. Mulkey and O.E. Stotler have purchased the Red Hot Coal Co. from H.H. Piatt; the business, at 335 William St. in Cape Girardeau, is open for business under the same name.

100 years ago: July 28, 1907

In the absence of the pastor, the Rev. E.T. Adams, the Methodist Church congregation hears layman B.G. Shackelford at the morning service and the Rev. W.H. Whitnell of Oran, Mo., in the evening; the congregation continues to worship at Common Pleas Courthouse, while its church is being constructed.

At a meeting of the American Society of Equity, the farmers' organization, at Jackson yesterday, it was decided to appoint a committee with powers to acquire subscriptions and build a warehouse at Jackson; that town is recognized as the central grain-shipping point in the county.

-- Sharon K. Sanders

Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: