- Say Cheese: The story behind the famous sandwiches at the East Perry Fair (9/22/17)
- McClure man accused of leaving children in hot truck while gambling in casino (9/19/17)1
- Anne Limbaugh dies, leaves legacy of caring (9/22/17)
- New boutique store advocates for special-needs people (9/19/17)
- Former football players provide leadership training at middle school (9/24/17)
- Cape Girardeau native Jessica Johnston to compete as castaway on 'Survivor' season 35 (9/24/17)
- New businesses popping up all over Cape Girardeau (9/24/17)1
- Former major-league slugger Darryl Strawberry to speak at La Croix (9/20/17)
- Mo. conservation agents help fight fires in western U.S. (9/15/17)
- Young entrepreneurs add fresh ideas, unique offerings for area market (9/18/17)
Candidates are leaning to socialism
To the editor:Thomas Jefferson said, "If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of Civilization, it expects what never was and never will be."
I'm convinced that a large majority of our electorate are guilty of ignorance of our country's history and Constitution and succeed in proving it during every election period. When we continue to vote for leaders who, by their own declaration, will turn our country into a socialist state, we have proven the wisdom in Jefferson's quote.
With each election, we continue to prove that freedom and independence are no longer a major concern of a majority of our citizens. Somewhere along history's path, we have come to believe that our elected officials will see that we are protected and provided for from birth to grave. Socialism is like an inverted pyramid scheme. It works well for some for a time, but it is catastrophic for most, because it collapses from the weight at the top. This is exactly why most socialist states have failed and the citizens of those that haven't continue to live in abject poverty.
Listen closely to the candidates who are running for president. Many are openly declaring their socialist aspirations. No longer do they try to hide it, because they know that most Americans have lost their will to provide for themselves.
Wake up, America.
GENE N. ISOM, Olive Branch, Ill.