- Waller deemed competent to stand trial (1/11/17)5
- Young Elvis impersonator from Bernie performs on 'Ellen DeGeneres Show' (1/12/17)
- 113 drug tests at Jackson High net one instance of illicit usage (1/11/17)14
- Two subjects of interest in 1992 homicide to take polygraph tests (1/15/17)6
- Two men shot after argument; houses also struck by bullets (1/12/17)21
- Imo's Pizza will be added to Rhodes 101 convenience store in Jackson (1/10/17)16
- Cape SportsPlex contractor offers a look at the project (1/15/17)13
- Juvenile accused of stealing, damaging playground statue (1/9/17)25
- Two Cape men recovering after shooting (1/13/17)
- Business notebook: Faithfully Fed aims for more than just food (1/9/17)4
Candidates are leaning to socialism
To the editor:Thomas Jefferson said, "If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of Civilization, it expects what never was and never will be."
I'm convinced that a large majority of our electorate are guilty of ignorance of our country's history and Constitution and succeed in proving it during every election period. When we continue to vote for leaders who, by their own declaration, will turn our country into a socialist state, we have proven the wisdom in Jefferson's quote.
With each election, we continue to prove that freedom and independence are no longer a major concern of a majority of our citizens. Somewhere along history's path, we have come to believe that our elected officials will see that we are protected and provided for from birth to grave. Socialism is like an inverted pyramid scheme. It works well for some for a time, but it is catastrophic for most, because it collapses from the weight at the top. This is exactly why most socialist states have failed and the citizens of those that haven't continue to live in abject poverty.
Listen closely to the candidates who are running for president. Many are openly declaring their socialist aspirations. No longer do they try to hide it, because they know that most Americans have lost their will to provide for themselves.
Wake up, America.
GENE N. ISOM, Olive Branch, Ill.