- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)47
- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says cops’ good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
Manny Ramirez was not claimed on waivers before Friday's deadline, leaving the moody outfielder and his $101.5 million contract with the Red Sox. Red Sox general manager Theo Epstein and owner John Henry declined to comment on Ramirez, citing a baseball rule against discussing whether players were put on waivers.
The contract of Royals manager Tony Pena was extended two years through 2006 by Kansas City. General manager Allard Baird's contract also was extended through 2006.
Sammy Sosa will keep on doing his home run hops for the Cubs. Sosa announced he will not pursue free agency and will keep the last two seasons of his four-year contract. He will earn $33 million over the remainder of the deal.
Heavy rain and strong wind forced play to be called off at the Volvo Masters, the European tour's season-ending tournament. Organizers hope to start the second round today with the 57 players put into groups of threes off the first and 10th tees.
Ahn Shi-hyun tied the course record with a 7-under 65, giving her a one-stroke lead in the first round of an LPGA tournament. Se Ri Pak, who set the record last year on the resort island, shot a 69 at the CJ Nine Bridges Classic.
Newman's fast lap in qualifying for the Checker Auto Parts 500 was 133.675 mph.
THE JACKSON FOOTBALL TEAM HAS MADE THREE STATE PLAYOFF APPEARANCES SINCE MOVING TO CLASS 5. INCORRECT INFORMATION APPEARED IN FRIDAY'S EDITION. THE SOUTHEAST MISSOURIAN REGRETS THE ERROR.
-- Staff and wire reports