- Business notebook: Cape salon picked as one of nation's top 200 (4/17/17)
- Man out on bond for alleged molestation of boys charged with abusing girl (4/18/17)
- Cape Girardeau County: Pilot House in Cape Girardeau is home to high quality ingredients, familiar faces (4/14/17)3
- New policy for semissourian.com online commentary: No pseudonyms (4/17/17)57
- Without city record, Marie Street residents on hook for thousands in sewer repairs (4/19/17)7
- Going the distance: Several locals participate in Boston Marathon (4/18/17)2
- Oran man jailed on statutory rape, burglary, other charges (4/16/17)
- 2 shot; 1 dead, 1 in custody in Cape shooting (4/16/17)4
- Bollinger County: Bonnie’s Moo Cow Cafe in Patton, Missouri, dishes out Southern classics (4/14/17)
- City wants to put hold on shipping container houses for now (4/17/17)1
Make a difference
There is something satisfying and uplifting about a day devoted to doing something good. Hundreds of people in Southeast Missouri could feel good about themselves after last Saturday's Make a Difference Day, which is sponsored nationally by USA Weekend, the Sunday magazine in the Southeast Missourian and hundreds of other newspapers.
Individuals, groups and organizations found ways to help their neighbors and their neighborhoods during Make a Difference Day. They painted a mural, gathered cleaning supplies and hygiene products, cleaned up a city, spent time with the elderly, promoted literacy and raised money for worthy causes. And much, much more.
Other groups are planning their own Make a Difference Day projects for different days, and their efforts will be just as appreciated as those on the official day.
Helping someone else is still just about the best thing anyone can do. There are a good many Southeast Missourians who know the feeling.