- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)46
- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)42
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)3
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
Jackson County deputy resigns after being accused of sodomizing teen
LEE'S SUMMIT, Mo. (AP) -- A Jackson County sheriff's deputy resigned Friday after being accused of sodomizing a 15-year-old girl in a Sibley park.
Authorities are still investigating the incident and haven't charged the suspect, who isn't being identified pending charges being filed.
The girl told investigators that the deputy, described as being 34 years old, approached her and her friends at Hayes Park around 2 a.m. Tuesday. She said the deputy told her friends to leave and then sodomized her before taking her back to her aunt's home.
The deputy, who had worked at the Sheriff's Office since August 2005, had been placed on administrative leave after the report.
"These allegations are embarrassing and very unfortunate for the sheriff's office, the county and all members of law enforcement," Sheriff Tim Phillips said in a release. "However, should misconduct be found on behalf of the deputy, it will not be tolerated."