- Cape teacher accused of assaulting student at football game (10/23/16)41
- Pedestrian killed during traffic collision on I-55 (10/23/16)9
- Scott County Sheriff Rick Walter faces challenge from criminal investigator Wes Drury (10/21/16)9
- 18-year-old killed in one-car crash Thursday morning (10/21/16)1
- One issue reveals Clinton's character (10/25/16)18
- Man arrested after dispute at school spurs brief lockdown (10/21/16)6
- One victim IDs his attacker in shooting that killed woman (10/25/16)1
- 'I feel for them' (10/20/16)1
- Hundreds turn out for VintageNOW fundraiser (10/23/16)3
- R.P. Lumber chain buys Southeast Missouri Builders Supply in Cape (10/25/16)7
Cape still alive in Senior Babe Ruth tournament
The Cape Girardeau Senior Babe Ruth baseball team beat Portageville 11-4 on Saturday night to remain alive in the state tournament in Charleston.
Cape (17-9) is 3-1 in the tournament, which is now down to three teams from its original field of seven.
Chad Friend tripled and doubled to lead Cape's 11-hit attack. Logan Glueck, Jacob Valleroy and Luke Moll all added two hits.
Tyler Propst pitched six innings for the win. He allowed seven hits and two runs, with three strikeouts and two walks.
Late Friday night, Cape defeated Canton 13-7 as Glueck went 3-for-3 with three RBIs. Abe Dirnberger and Blake Gaddis both had two hits. Nick Ostendorf was the winning pitcher.
Cape will play defending champion Mineral Area at 2 p.m. today in the loser's bracket final, with the winner advancing to meet host Charleston at 5 p.m. in the championship round.
Charleston (29-14) is the only undefeated team in the tournament after beating Mineral Area 4-2 in Saturday's winner's bracket final.
-- From staff reports