- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)49
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says copsí good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Hopper Road to close for months during construction of Veterans Drive (04/27/16)9
Cape still alive in Senior Babe Ruth tournament
The Cape Girardeau Senior Babe Ruth baseball team beat Portageville 11-4 on Saturday night to remain alive in the state tournament in Charleston.
Cape (17-9) is 3-1 in the tournament, which is now down to three teams from its original field of seven.
Chad Friend tripled and doubled to lead Cape's 11-hit attack. Logan Glueck, Jacob Valleroy and Luke Moll all added two hits.
Tyler Propst pitched six innings for the win. He allowed seven hits and two runs, with three strikeouts and two walks.
Late Friday night, Cape defeated Canton 13-7 as Glueck went 3-for-3 with three RBIs. Abe Dirnberger and Blake Gaddis both had two hits. Nick Ostendorf was the winning pitcher.
Cape will play defending champion Mineral Area at 2 p.m. today in the loser's bracket final, with the winner advancing to meet host Charleston at 5 p.m. in the championship round.
Charleston (29-14) is the only undefeated team in the tournament after beating Mineral Area 4-2 in Saturday's winner's bracket final.
-- From staff reports