- Waller deemed competent to stand trial (1/11/17)5
- Young Elvis impersonator from Bernie performs on 'Ellen DeGeneres Show' (1/12/17)
- Two subjects of interest in 1992 homicide to take polygraph tests (1/15/17)7
- Business notebook: Jackson salon owner also opens a clothing store (1/16/17)
- Two men shot after argument; houses also struck by bullets (1/12/17)21
- 113 drug tests at Jackson High net one instance of illicit usage (1/11/17)15
- Cape SportsPlex contractor offers a look at the project (1/15/17)14
- Meat-processing plant faces $70K penalty for Clean Water Act violations (1/17/17)1
- Two Cape men recovering after shooting (1/13/17)
- Governor cuts $146 million, colleges take hit (1/17/17)
The race is on
Saturday, if all goes according to schedule, the 70th annual All-American Soap Box Derby races will be held in Akron, Ohio. Among the 600 racers in various classes from all over the nation will be two young drivers, brother and sister Jordan Little and April Little, representing Cape Girardeau.
Jordan and April are at the national Soap Box Derby because of their showing in the Cape Girardeau races held earlier this year on Sprigg Street near Blanchard Elementary School. Cape Girardeau has a long history of Soap Box Derby racing dating back to the event's earliest days. Several years ago the local races were resumed under the auspices of the Rotary Club of Cape Girardeau.
The competition in Akron will be tough, and we join all of Jordan and April's supporters here at home in wishing them the best. They will have a big cheering section in Southeast Missouri. Win or lose, the Littles and their mother Beth will come home from Ohio with a week's worth of experiences and memories that will last a lifetime.
Many of those moments have been captured this week by Southeast Missourian news intern Peter Wylie. In addition to his stories and photographs published in the newspaper, Wylie also is getting valuable experience with video and audio presentations that are on semissourian.com. Take a look, and give Jordan and April a cheer as they make that special run down the hill in Akron.