- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)46
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)7
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)38
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
- Man accused of pointing BB gun at Chaffee resident (04/26/16)2
ND spikers repeat as district champs
Notre Dame's volleyball team defeated host Dexter in two games Tuesday night to win its second consecutive Class 3, District 1 tournament title.
Sommer McCauley led the way with eight kills and nine assists as Notre Dame (29-3-1) won 25-11, 25-15.
"We're really proud of ourselves right now," Notre Dame coach Tara Stroup said.
Laura Browne had seven kills and Kristin Boos added six digs for the Bulldogs.
Earlier Tuesday, Notre Dame defeated Kennett 25-17, 25-21 to advance to the finals.
"We started off a little shaky in the first game against Kennett, but we came back and did really good in the second game," Stroup said.
Browne had 10 kills and McCauley added four kills in the win over Kennett. Allison Essner had 10 assists.
Notre Dame advanced to the sectional round, which will be played Saturday in Festus. The Bulldogs' sectional match will be at 4:30 p.m.
In the semifinals Dexter beat Perryville in two games 25-13, 25-16. Lisa Pecaut led the Pirates (17-14-2) with nine assists. Kaci Schremp had four kills.
Class 4, District 1
Second-seeded Farmington routed No. 1 Jackson 25-10, 25-17 at the Class 4, District 1 finals at Farmington.
The Indians made it to the finals by beating Hillsboro in three games. Farmington won its semifinal over Poplar Bluff in three games.
Class 1, District 3
Leopold survived two three-game matches to keep its hopes of a repeat state championship alive.
The Wildcats (23-5) came from behind to beat Meadow Heights 16-25, 25-23, 25-20 in the championship match. Leopold made it to the finals by beating Zalma in three games 25-12, 24-26, 25-14.
Meadow Heights beat host Oak Ridge in three games in the other semifinal 25-14, 23-25, 25-18.
Notre Dame 2, Poplar Bluff 0
Notre Dame got back above the .500 mark with a win at home.
Mark Unterreiner started the scoring for the Bulldogs (10-9-2) on senior night with a goal in the 29th minute from Jonathan Market. David Kiblinger added the second goal for Notre Dame four minutes later from Blake Fisher.
Brendan McMeel had seven saves for the shutout.
Notre Dame's JV (14-1-4) won 2-1. Abe Dirnberger scored both goals and Kirk Boeller had an assist.
JUNIOR HIGH BASKETBALL
Central girls take third
Central's eighth-grade girls basketball team place third in the Dexter Tournament with a 45-17 victory over Charleston.
Carissa Wheeler led Central (2-3) with 12 points, while Tierra Walker collected six rebounds.
-- From staff reports