Cape police investigate two weekend robberies

Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Though the two crimes are not believed to have been related, both were strong-arm robberies.

Cape Girardeau police are investigating two robberies that occurred over the weekend and have arrested one suspect in connection with the first.

Though the two crimes are not believed to have been related, they were both strong-arm robberies, meaning they involved the use of force rather than a concealed weapon.

Theotis Robinson, who was arrested in connection with the first of the two robberies, is charged with first-degree assault, unlawful use of drug paraphernalia and second-degree drug trafficking.

According to police reports, Robinson stole $300 from a 33-year-old man who had gone to his house late Friday night, then struck him in the head with a lead pipe.

The victim, bleeding badly from the head injury, went to a nearby residence for help and called the police, who responded around 10:45 p.m.

The victim, who refused medical treatment for his wound, provided a statement to police that he had gone to see Robinson to obtain drugs. Police later obtained a search warrant for the house at which the assault occurred and discovered a mixture of a substance thought to contain a cocaine base and drug paraphernalia, police reports and the probable-cause statement said.

Robinson has previous convictions for possession of a controlled substance, driving while intoxicated and failure to pay child support. Bond has been set at $100,000.

The second robbery in downtown Cape Girardeau occurred early Sunday morning at Broadway and Fountain Street. The victim, a 21-year-old man, had been walking toward the corner around 1 a.m. when was approached by seven to nine men, according to a statement he gave in police reports.

According to his statement, he thought nothing of it, but the next thing he remembered was waking up on the ground. He ran to the Bel-Air Grill on South Spanish Street to call the police.

He appeared to have been struck at the back of the neck, according to police reports, and his wallet had been taken. Police were able to recover his wallet later that evening, but about $30 had been stolen.

No one has been arrested in connection with the incident, said Sgt. Barry Hovis, but detectives will be following up with the victim to get an exact description of his assailants.

Though it was unusual to see two robberies by force in the same weekend, Hovis said, police statistics reflected a general increase in crime in the summer.

335-6611, extension 245

Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: