- New custody law for equal time for dads begins today; some question law's relevance (8/28/16)5
- Marble Hill fires entire sewer department (8/23/16)5
- Ex-Southeast student gets probation for placing homemade sex video on porn site without woman's knowledge (8/24/16)13
- Bootheel lawmaker seeks probe into crop damage by illegal herbicide spraying (8/24/16)1
- Local private school dreams bigger, plans for new building at Sprigg and Lexington (8/22/16)
- Newsmakers 2016: Jason Bandermann (8/15/16)
- 'Santa' suspect Moffat sentenced to 12 years for sexual abuse of girl (8/23/16)2
- Schnucks bans solicitors, including organizations like Salvation Army (8/24/16)38
- Jackson girl stays planted on the farm (8/28/16)2
- Court ruling, state suggest businesses may apply use, sales tax to deliveries (8/24/16)2
Extremists use Constitution to favor, oppose
To the editor:
Congress has passed and President Bush says he will sign federal legislation banning the most barbaric procedure known to medicine: partial-birth abortion. Predictably, the extreme left-wing fanatics are predicting the end of civilization as we know it, along with decent health care for women.
The usual crowd from the far left of the Democratic Party was calling this legislation unconstitutional, a violation of individual rights and the first step to banning all abortion. Any restriction on abortion is unconstitutional, according to this crowd. Funny. When we on the right object to the never-ending stream of gun-control laws they continually push, those same extremists discount those very same constitutional arguments.
To these extremists, the right to abortion is absolute. Yet when it comes to the Second Amendment this same crowd argues that no right is absolute. There has never been an infringement of the Second Amendment they did not see as reasonable.
You would think that at my age I would cease being astonished at the absolute hypocrisy and two-faced arguments of the extremists on the left, but this is so outrageous and blatant as to amaze even me.
ROBERT A. CRON