- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)47
- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)42
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)3
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
'Hood surfing' leads to injury on Route Y
By Bridget DiCosmo
Missouri State Highway Patrol officers responded to a "hood surfing" accident Monday around 8:40 p.m.
A 17-year-old Jackson resident was driving eastbound on Route Y when he attempted to climb out and onto the hood of his vehicle. He tumbled off of the car and was hit by another vehicle, said responding Highway Patrol officer Cpl. Perry Hazelwood.
The teen will receive two summonses in connection with the accident, one for minor in possession of alcohol and one for reckless and imprudent driving. One of the other three passengers, Ricky L. Nanney, 19, of Jackson, was arrested in connection with the accident, on suspicion of underage possession of alcohol.
The teen was transported to Saint Francis Medical Center, where he was listed in moderate condition, Hazelwood said.