- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)39
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Ray's of Kelso, Plaza by Ray's to change ownership; Fonn to buy enterprise (04/20/16)3
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)5
- Cape council approves nearly $1M in park, sculpture projects with little public discussion (04/22/16)37
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Tanker truck catches fire near Oak Ridge (04/24/16)7
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
Community cuisine 10/23/03
Shape Up Cape! Program Honored At Monday Night Football Game
The Cape Girardeau Chamber of Commerce President and CEO John Mehner accepted the 2003 Governor's Fitness and Health Leadership Eastern Division Platinum Award during pre-game ceremonies at the Monday Night Football game between the Rams and the Falcons. Mehner accepted the award from Gov. Bob Holden on behalf of the Cape Girardeau Chamber of Commerce's Health and Human Services Committee. Pictured from left, are Michael Wells and John Mehner, holding the award.
Shape Up Cape, concluding its second year, won the Governor's Council on Health and Physical Fitness for the second time. This spring the 2002 program won the Governor's Fitness and Health Leadership Award. The program has attracted more than 300 participants annually to compete by earning points for exercising. The Chamber was looking at proactive ways to minimize healthcare costs for employers when it came up with Shape Up Cape!
Top teams in each division of Shape Up Cape! were awarded cash prizes at the Chamber's October Business After Hours. For more information about Shape Up Cape! contact the Cape Girardeau Chamber of Commerce at 573-335-3312.Millersville Masons host kettle beef dinner Nov. 2
From 11 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. Sunday, Nov. 2 the Millersville Masonic Lodge Westview No. 103 will serve a kettle beef dinner. Everyone is invited. For more information contact Billy Keele at (573) 866-3282.
Chicken and fish fry in Crosstown on Sunday
From 2 to 6 p.m. Sunday, a chicken and fish fry will be held at the St. James Church, Crosstown, Mo.
Food buffet fund-raising dinner atBald Knob Cross
Serving from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday and Sunday, Nov. 1 and 2 the Bald Knob Cross of Peace, Alto Pass, Ill. (located 17 miles south of Murphysboro off Route 127) will hold a buffet fund-raising dinner complete with various food items. Carry outs are available.
Crafters and flea market vendors are welcome to set up. For more information call Myra Owens at (618)532-8188.
Cape Rock patrons hosting harvest dinner
From 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Sunday, a harvest kettle beef/ chicken and dumplings buffet will be held at the Masonic Temple, 2307 Broadway, Cape Girardeau. Served by Past Matrons and Past Patrons Club of Cape Rock Chapter No. 60.
-- From staff reports