- City suspends liquor license for downtown Cape bar; owners say they want to fix problems (3/26/17)7
- Harbor Freight Tools store coming to Cape (3/29/17)9
- Mall aboard: Future requires evolution at West Park Mall (3/24/17)24
- Cape school board rejects proposal to allow parochial-school students to play sports (3/28/17)79
- Ragsdale to replace Farrow as principal at Franklin Elementary (3/29/17)5
- Former Southeast softball coach sues Board of Regents; seeks damages and her job back (3/23/17)15
- 'Construction with finesse' (3/26/17)2
- Chaffee district seeks bond issue for classrooms, property (3/26/17)4
- Suspended Southeast student pleads guilty to firearm charge from fatal Carbondale shooting (3/28/17)1
- Wide array of candidates run for Cape school board (3/27/17)7
Schwarzenegger plans special session
SACRAMENTO -- Gov.-elect Arnold Schwarzenegger told legislators during his first official visit to the state Capitol Wednesday that he planned to call a special session the day after he is sworn into office.
Priorities for the session may include legislation recently signed by outgoing Gov. Gray Davis that grants driver's licenses to undocumented immigrants. Workers' compensation reform, political reform and budget issues are other possible topics, said spokesman Rob Stutzman.
Schwarzenegger reiterated his pledge to repeal the driver's license bill, saying it would not be subject to negotiation.
Schwarzenegger's aides expect him to be sworn in as governor Nov. 17.
"Action, action, action, action," Schwarzenegger said. "That's what people voted me into this office for. They wanted a governor that is filled with action -- that performs and represents the people."
Schwarzenegger also named health care executive Patricia Clarey as chief of staff. Clarey, 50, served as deputy chief of staff to former Gov. Pete Wilson in the mid-1990s. Before that, she worked in Washington under Presidents Reagan and George H.W. Bush.
Clarey's appointment requires no Senate confirmation and she will start work immediately, the Schwarzenegger transition team said.