- Police: Cape man kidnapped woman, then raped, assaulted her (06/30/16)7
- Many Jackson students may face random drug-testing (06/26/16)41
- Jackson man accused of felony assault after attack at Cape bar (06/26/16)7
- Four men accused of roles in three robberies (06/29/16)3
- Coroner asks for grand jury in Poplar Bluff fatal hit-and-run case (06/28/16)1
- Southeast president to get his U.S. citizenship July 4 (06/30/16)34
- Cape murderer still will serve 2 life sentences; appeals court forced reduced charge (06/30/16)
- Cape detective who helped solve Krajcir case is retiring (06/28/16)8
- Officials: Ash borer less of a problem here than in St. Louis (06/27/16)
- Business notebook: Melting Co. adds to Cape's food-truck fleet (06/27/16)
N. Korean diplomat confirms shutdown of nuclear reactor
SEOUL, South Korea -- A North Korean diplomat confirmed the country had shut down its sole operating nuclear reactor after receiving an initial shipment of oil aid, and said U.N. nuclear inspectors would start work on Sunday to verify it.
"Immediately after the arrival of the first heavy fuel oil, the facilities were shut down and the [International Atomic Energy Agency] personnel will verify that maybe by now, or from today in Korea," said Kim Myong Gil, minister at the North's mission to the United Nations in New York.
North Korea told the United States it shut down its nuclear reactor, the State Department said Saturday, hours after a ship cruised into port loaded with oil promised in return for the country's pledge to disarm.
The shutdown is the North's first step in nearly five years toward denuclearization.
"We welcome this development and look forward to the verification and monitoring of this shutdown by the International Atomic Energy Agency team," State Department spokesman Sean McCormack said in a statement.
After tortuous negotiations and delays -- during which the North argued its nuclear program was needed for self-defense -- the reclusive regime said earlier this month that once it received the oil shipment, it would consider halting its reactor.
The 10-member IAEA team arrived in the North Korean capital Saturday afternoon. Team chief Adel Tolba said the inspectors would stay in North Korea as long as needed to complete their work at the Yongbyon plutonium-producing reactor, located about 60 miles northeast of Pyongyang.
"We are going directly to the nuclear site at Yongbyon," Tolba told broadcaster APTN outside the airport.
Footage showed dozens of cardboard boxes being loaded onto the back of two trucks. It was not immediately clear what they contained, but Tolba said earlier he and his colleagues were bringing 2,200 pounds of equipment for use during the trip.
North Korea did not give a timetable for the shutdown, but top U.S. nuclear envoy Christopher Hill said earlier it would happen within days.
"I think it's a matter of today, tomorrow, maybe Monday," Hill said Saturday in the Japanese resort town of Hakone, south of Tokyo.
Hill also said he expected the North to submit a list of its nuclear facilities within months, as was agreed upon in a February disarmament deal.
"We expect the comprehensive list in a matter of several weeks, possibly several months," Hill said.
But he warned that the process was not likely to go smoothly. "I wish I could say we won't have any more problems, but experience tells me otherwise," Hill said.
After the IAEA team installs monitoring equipment, some experts will remain at Yongbyon to ensure the reactor stays shuttered, said a diplomat familiar with North Korea's file at the IAEA.
"The IAEA plans to have a permanent presence there, with some experts remaining at the site continuously," said the diplomat, who requested anonymity due to the issue's sensitivity.
Saturday's delivery of 6,200 tons of heavy fuel oil was the first of 50,000 tons promised to the North in exchange for shutting down its reactor. Pyongyang will eventually get 1 million tons of oil and other financial and political concessions in the deal with the United States, China, Japan, South Korea and Russia.
The South Korean tanker No. 9 Han Chang arrived at the North's northeastern port of Sonbong, and the oil was being unloaded, a Unification Ministry official said. The South Korean official spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to talk to media.
The six-party agreement eased a standoff that began in October 2002, when the U.S. said North Korean officials had admitted having a secret uranium enrichment program. Washington said that violated a 1994 agreement for the North's disarmament, and a month later halted oil shipments under that deal.
The North reacted by expelling IAEA monitors, withdrawing from the Nuclear Nonproliferation Treaty and restarting the reactor.
North Korea has since occasionally shut down the reactor to remove fuel rods and extract plutonium. It is believed to have harvested enough for at least a dozen bombs.
The government set off an underground nuclear test explosion in October, leading to intensified international efforts to negotiate an end to its arms program. The North was likely to term the shutdown simply a suspension of operations -- which could be easily reversed.