- Emergency c-section on dead mother saves baby following I-55 wreck (05/15/16)19
- Big drug haul made during Cape Girardeau bust (05/17/16)11
- Police charge Perryville man with statutory rape of two underage girls (05/17/16)
- Teen shot outside apartment off Lorimier Street (05/20/16)39
- Body found Thursday at Ranney Park in Cape (05/20/16)10
- Bollinger County deputies bust man on meth-for-sex sting (05/20/16)2
- Area farmer pleads guilty to fraud (05/18/16)1
- Perryville man accused of grabbing woman around throat, pulling out her hair (05/18/16)1
- Charleston man accused of fatally shooting Cape teen (05/22/16)24
- Vandals ravage historic Shivelbine house before demolition (05/18/16)25
Good pay, health plans are needed
To the editor:The Missouri Budget Project commends Gov. Matt Blunt for his veto of House Bill 327. He recognized that this bill was loaded down with extensive tax credits and had ballooned well beyond its original intent of expanding Missouri's Quality Jobs Act.
We encourage legislators to pass a clean bill that provides incentives to businesses providing above-average wages and health-care benefits to their employees.
Economic development in Missouri will be furthered by fiscal policies that promote well-paying jobs and access to health insurance.
Whether in a special session this fall or as a high priority for the 2008 session, the Missouri Legislature has an opportunity to pass a bill that truly moves our state forward.
AMY BLOUIN, Executive Director, Missouri Budget Project, St. Louis