- Krispy Kreme coming to Cape Girardeau (12/14/17)2
- Light and music show: Jackson family goes high-tech with Christmas display (12/11/17)
- Cape schools to get two new principals, assistant superintendent (12/13/17)1
- Former Wimpy's Drive-In owner Freeman Lewis dies (12/9/17)2
- Kelso resident brings home $60K in lottery winnings (12/14/17)
- Pedestrian struck on Broadway (12/11/17)4
- Wind brings down Wendy's sign in Cape Girardeau (12/11/17)2
- Feds ask judge to impose $6.5 million punishment for Cape surgeon (12/7/17)9
Good pay, health plans are needed
To the editor:The Missouri Budget Project commends Gov. Matt Blunt for his veto of House Bill 327. He recognized that this bill was loaded down with extensive tax credits and had ballooned well beyond its original intent of expanding Missouri's Quality Jobs Act.
We encourage legislators to pass a clean bill that provides incentives to businesses providing above-average wages and health-care benefits to their employees.
Economic development in Missouri will be furthered by fiscal policies that promote well-paying jobs and access to health insurance.
Whether in a special session this fall or as a high priority for the 2008 session, the Missouri Legislature has an opportunity to pass a bill that truly moves our state forward.
AMY BLOUIN, Executive Director, Missouri Budget Project, St. Louis