- Man shot by police ID'd; witness shares his side of story (2/17/17)31
- Settlement reached in accidental shooting case at Kelly High (2/15/17)10
- Jackson board votes to demolish high school building if bond issue passes (2/15/17)24
- MSHP: McLendon shot in side; autopsy refutes witness account (2/19/17)23
- Cape officer shoots man inside a home (2/16/17)7
- Panda Express restaurant coming to Cape's Siemers Drive (2/14/17)2
- Business notebook: Owners ready to roll out the Barrel 131 (2/20/17)3
- Former Cape cop indicted on possessing child porn (2/17/17)
- Man dies after being shot by officer; said to have come at cop with knife (2/16/17)29
- Ray's of Kelso to close, then reopen under new ownership (2/16/17)6
Good pay, health plans are needed
To the editor:The Missouri Budget Project commends Gov. Matt Blunt for his veto of House Bill 327. He recognized that this bill was loaded down with extensive tax credits and had ballooned well beyond its original intent of expanding Missouri's Quality Jobs Act.
We encourage legislators to pass a clean bill that provides incentives to businesses providing above-average wages and health-care benefits to their employees.
Economic development in Missouri will be furthered by fiscal policies that promote well-paying jobs and access to health insurance.
Whether in a special session this fall or as a high priority for the 2008 session, the Missouri Legislature has an opportunity to pass a bill that truly moves our state forward.
AMY BLOUIN, Executive Director, Missouri Budget Project, St. Louis