- Jackson man to cast electoral vote for Trump; others trying to dissuade him (11/29/16)51
- Man killed by vehicle had been charged with domestic assault (11/30/16)
- Hotel chain president: City should regulate short-term lodging (11/27/16)16
- Former Cape council member dies, remembered as 'wonderful public servant' (11/29/16)1
- Woman accused in three robberies disguised herself as man (11/29/16)5
- Thankful people: Marble Hill woman been through much and remains thankful (11/24/16)
- Officers: Delta man dies during domestic dispute (11/28/16)1
- Business notebook: New store shows faith in Scott City district (11/28/16)
- Missouri chamber to honor Cape's John Mehner (11/30/16)5
- Light Christmas: Thousands gather to view Parade of Lights (11/28/16)5
Good pay, health plans are needed
To the editor:The Missouri Budget Project commends Gov. Matt Blunt for his veto of House Bill 327. He recognized that this bill was loaded down with extensive tax credits and had ballooned well beyond its original intent of expanding Missouri's Quality Jobs Act.
We encourage legislators to pass a clean bill that provides incentives to businesses providing above-average wages and health-care benefits to their employees.
Economic development in Missouri will be furthered by fiscal policies that promote well-paying jobs and access to health insurance.
Whether in a special session this fall or as a high priority for the 2008 session, the Missouri Legislature has an opportunity to pass a bill that truly moves our state forward.
AMY BLOUIN, Executive Director, Missouri Budget Project, St. Louis