- Cape teacher accused of assaulting student at football game (10/23/16)30
- Pedestrian killed during traffic collision on I-55 (10/23/16)8
- Scott County Sheriff Rick Walter faces challenge from criminal investigator Wes Drury (10/21/16)8
- Shooting injures two people in Cape early Tuesday (10/19/16)34
- 18-year-old killed in one-car crash Thursday morning (10/21/16)1
- Man arrested after dispute at school spurs brief lockdown (10/21/16)6
- 'I feel for them' (10/20/16)1
- Perry County: A great place to find home away from home (10/14/16)
- Hundreds turn out for VintageNOW fundraiser (10/23/16)3
- Crews are working on the new Drury Hotel (10/21/16)4
Good pay, health plans are needed
To the editor:The Missouri Budget Project commends Gov. Matt Blunt for his veto of House Bill 327. He recognized that this bill was loaded down with extensive tax credits and had ballooned well beyond its original intent of expanding Missouri's Quality Jobs Act.
We encourage legislators to pass a clean bill that provides incentives to businesses providing above-average wages and health-care benefits to their employees.
Economic development in Missouri will be furthered by fiscal policies that promote well-paying jobs and access to health insurance.
Whether in a special session this fall or as a high priority for the 2008 session, the Missouri Legislature has an opportunity to pass a bill that truly moves our state forward.
AMY BLOUIN, Executive Director, Missouri Budget Project, St. Louis