- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)46
- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)32
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)3
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
Bonham Carter plays sadistic sorceress in fifth Harry Potter film
LONDON -- Some actors might balk at being cast as an evil witch. Not Helena Bonham Carter.
The British actress revels in the role of sadistic sorceress Bellatrix Lestrange -- fanatical follower of evil Lord Voldemort -- in "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix," the fifth film adapted from J.K. Rowling's wizarding saga.
Bonham Carter blazes her way across the screen in her one big scene -- a dramatic battle between Voldemort's Death Eaters and Harry's ragtag band of friends.
"I had about five lines and I think they cut about three of them," Bonham Carter, 41, said. "So I knew I had to be conspicuous."
Black-clad, wild-haired and cacklingly sadistic, Bellatrix escapes from Azkaban prison to join the resurgent Voldemort in his quest to destroy Harry.
Like other fans worldwide, Bonham Carter is awaiting the July 21 publication of Rowling's seventh and final Potter novel, "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows," to learn the characters' fate. But she's been given a hint that Bellatrix may play a part.
While she was considering whether to accept the small role in "Order of the Phoenix," she says, "J.K. Rowling sent a message saying she's going to be very significant in the last one."
"Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix," a Warner Bros. Pictures release, opens in theaters around the world starting Wednesday.