- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)48
- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says copsí good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
Area sports digest 7/10/07
Two Redhawks picked all-OVC by magazine
Southeast Missouri State senior linebacker Adam Casper and senior tight end Joe Tuineau have been named preseason first team All-Ohio Valley Conference selections by Phil Steele's College Football Preview.
Casper was a first team all-OVC pick last season after leading the Redhawks with 108 tackles.
Tuineau earned first team all-OVC honors in 2005 after catching 25 passes, but he battled injuries last year and had just six receptions.
Steele's magazine picked Southeast to finish seventh in the 10-team OVC. Well-known college football preview magazines Street & Smith's and Lindy's also picked the Redhawks seventh.
The official OVC preseason all-conference teams and rankings will be released at the league's media day July 24 in Nashville, Tenn.
Keefe wins Chip-A-Ways weekly golf outing
Jan Keefe won the A-flight at the weekly Cape Chip-A-Ways golf outing.
Waunita Van Dyke and Deanna Peterman tied atop the B-flight. Bonnie Miller and Bev Wink tied for first place in the C-flight.
Margaret Snider had the low putts and Clara Schafer had the play of the day.
Cook, Vandeven win horseshoe event
Lachelle Cook and Darrell Vandeven took first place in the Southeast Missouri Horseshoe Association tournament Sunday at the Backyard Horseshoe Club in Glenallen, Mo.
Rick Garland and Amy Pobst took second while the team of Martin Williams and Junior Smith took third.
At the July 4 tournament at the Oran Knights of Columbus, Edgar Stoverink and Jeff Miller took first place. Lester Powell and Williams teamed for second. Kory Kluesner and Cori Stoverink took third place.
Dombrowski, Swartz win golf tournament
Cord Dombrowski won the men's division and Kim Swartz won the ladies division at the Fourth of July tournament at Dalhousie Golf Club.
In the men's division, Mark Unger was second, Jeff DeWitt third and Jim Cochrane fourth.
In the ladies' division, Mary Jane Eftink was second and Phyllis Seabaugh third.
The team of Lance Bray, Dean Short, Ken Schmitz and Bill Bishop won the four-person "Big Kahuna" team tournament at Dalhousie. The team finished with a 138.
The team of Woody Harrelson, Nelson Catalina, Bill Cook and Brian Sheehan took second with a 142. In third place was the team of Pat Evans, David Strom, Ken Carmode and Ian Soutar.
Jay Manus (Nos. 5 and 11), David Strom (No. 8) and Ron Seabaugh (No. 13) won the closest to the hole awards.
-- From staff reports