- Compliance check results in underage citations at four Cape bars (7/19/17)1
- Isle Casino to host wide-ranging career fair Wednesday (7/16/17)
- Lying police? Missing files, lost evidence: Newspaper investigation reveals glaring details in David Robinson case (7/16/17)2
- Buffalo Wild Wings to hold fundraiser Wednesday for ailing Cape officer (7/19/17)1
- 49-year-old homicide victim found in Cape (7/20/17)
- Sikeston detective's files about murder suspect missing from DPS (7/18/17)1
- Witnesses make claims of officer corruption in Box/Robinson case (7/17/17)1
- Cape city, civic leaders unveil downtown trolley service (7/14/17)6
- Park official: 5-year-old girl nearly drowns at Cape Splash, taken to hospital (7/12/17)4
- Business notebook: Jackson boutique has regional roots in retail (7/17/17)
Delectible smells and 'bull-lony'
To the editor,
Your story about Esicar's Smokehouse closing in September made me sad and opened a floodgate of good memories. When my three boys were all less than 6 years old it was a special event to go to the "smell good" place as they referred to it. They hated to go grocery shopping with me (and visa versa), but if I was going to Esicar's they eagerly scrambled into the car.
They loved the smell of the hickory smoke that permeated the building and knew there would be smoked cheese to sample, "Be-lony" to eat, plus they would get to listen to the "bull-lony" dished out by Richard, Ed and their dad. As time passed, it became Richard and Ed, then Richard, Ed and Blake and then Ed and Blake, and now Blake and -- soon to be gone. Oh how I wish it wasn't so!
My "boys" are now 50ish. I am always welcome to visit the son who lives in Columbia but I am especially warmly greeted when bearing a "Hillbilly" sliced #10, some "Belony," a bottle of Esicar's famous horseradish and a block of hickory smoked cheese.
The best BLT I have ever had is made with crisp, smoky, succulent Esicar's bacon. I will savor these sandwiches and the memories all summer long, for just as September brings the end of summer, it will also bring the end of Esicar's. Perhaps I will miss the "Bull-lony" most of all.
BARBARA ROSE RUST, Cape Girardeau