- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)48
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says copsí good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Hopper Road to close for months during construction of Veterans Drive (04/27/16)9
LaBerne Lina Brooks of Cape Girardeau died Sunday, Oct. 12, 2003, at St. Francis Medical Center.
She was born Feb. 3, 1913, in Belleville, Ill., daughter of Robert and O'Tillie Schlenk Stevenson. She and Garland A. Brooks were married in November 1935 in Belleville. He died in July 1967.
Brooks worked at J.C. Penney Co. many years. She lived in St. Louis 20 years, Sacramento, Calif., 25 years, and moved to Cape Girardeau in 1991.
Survivors include a son, Robert Brooks of Bixby, Okla.; a daughter, Esther Ressel of Cape Girardeau; three sisters, Margaret Belding and Frances Coldwell of Sacramento, Mary Robb of Fenton, Mo.; seven grandchildren; and three great-grandchildren.
There is no visitation or funeral.
Burial will be in Jefferson Barracks National Cemetery in St. Louis.
Ford and Sons Funeral Home is in charge of arrangements.