- Plans in the works to save Esquire Theater on Broadway in Cape (2/21/18)2
- Man transitioning to woman killed herself in Cape City Jail in June; news comes from architect's pitch in Kansas (2/15/18)2
- Bell City arrest, Scott City incident highlight high-alert status following Fla. school shooting (2/20/18)4
- Cape Girardeau businessman proposes redevelopment project; seeks taxing district to fund improvements (2/17/18)16
- Pence gets it right in response to attack on Christian faith (2/17/18)12
- As February winds down, Chaffee looking forward to reopening of ice cream shop (2/21/18)1
- Scott City puts school on lockdown; officials say alleged threat 'not credible' (2/21/18)2
- The heart of the matter: Clinic helps patients rise above congestive heart failure (2/17/18)
- Local foodies share most romantic places (2/22/18)
- Missouri governor indicted on invasion of privacy charge (2/23/18)6
This wedding brought to you by Acme Inc.
Hey, Dad: If your daughter tells you she's getting married, you don't have to pull out your wallet if you don't want to.
You can tell her to find an advertising sponsor to foot the bill.
Many couples these days are paying for their own weddings by allowing advertisers to borrow small pieces of the big day.
In exchange for the advertising, couples get services at deep discounts or even for free.
The advertising doesn't have to be intrusive. A recent news story joked about billboards or signs on the backs of tuxedos.
In reality, the advertising might be only a few printed lines on the back of the wedding program.
But it can be more visible at the rehearsal and reception. In some cases, a large board at the reception lists the name and service of each sponsor.
A place card in front of the wedding cake names the bakery.
Flower arrangements on each table names the florists. In some cases, sponsors are allowed to attend the wedding and hand out business cards. (A move that, no doubt, caused the mothers of the brides to gasp.)
One couple said they saved $30,000 using corporate sponsorships for their wedding.