- Cape businessman known for starting NARS dies at 49 (2/23/17)9
- Apparent punch at girls basketball game propels lawmaker into action (2/21/17)4
- Business notebook: Owners ready to roll out the Barrel 131 (2/20/17)7
- Japanese restaurant up and running; owner surprised by fondness of sushi here (2/24/17)1
- SoutheastHEALTH, Washington University School of Medicine announce collaboration (2/24/17)23
- Missouri bill would limit transgender school bathroom access (2/22/17)48
- City issues precautionary boil order near Arena Park (2/23/17)
- Former KFVS12 reporter talks about recovery from eating disorder (2/23/17)11
- $22M bond issue would alter Jackson schools (2/22/17)13
- Two men crack market with local cage-free eggs (2/26/17)12
Two women found dead in cabin in California's rustic Big Sur
GORDA, Calif. -- Two women were found dead in an oceanview cabin, their hands bound and black plastic garbage bags around their heads, one with a Halloween mask attached to it.
The Sheriff's Department identified the two women found Friday as Abigail Tapia, 27, and Jacqueline Toves, 26, who shared an address in Long Beach. Authorities said the deaths were being treated as homicides and autopsies were scheduled, but they declined to release other information.
The women were staying at the Gorda Springs Inn here, in the Big Sur region, known for mammoth cliffs and stunning ocean views.
Hotel workers found the bodies lying side-by-side in a bed with black plastic garbage bags bound around the women's heads with duct tape.
Both women had their hands bound with tape as well, and one of them wore a grinning Halloween mask over the plastic bag, said Leonardo Flores, an employee who saw the bodies. Another feathered mask lay nearby, he said.
"On one of the women, the tape looked more loose on the neck," said Flores.
The women checked into the inn Oct. 3, owner Sherwin Miller said, renting a $220-a-night rustic cabin with a fireplace and porch. The women had declined housekeeping service during their stay; staffers entered the room after they failed to check out Friday.