- Feds ask judge to impose $6.5 million punishment for Cape surgeon (12/7/17)9
- Harbor Freight Tools plans to move ahead with Cape Girardeau store (12/5/17)2
- Light and music show: Jackson family goes high-tech with Christmas display (12/11/17)
- Former Wimpy's Drive-In owner Freeman Lewis dies (12/9/17)2
- Makeover at the movies: Transformation complete inside Cape theater (12/8/17)4
- Sugarfire Cape barbecue restaurant to open June 2018 (12/7/17)
- Jury convicts Scott City man who confessed to murder; girlfriend's testimony corroborates confession (12/9/17)
- Pedestrian struck on Broadway (12/11/17)4
- Business Notebook: Yule Log Cabin gets home feel honestly (12/4/17)
- Fruitland Army veteran spends weeks helping in ravaged Puerto Rico (12/5/17)2
Two women found dead in cabin in California's rustic Big Sur
GORDA, Calif. -- Two women were found dead in an oceanview cabin, their hands bound and black plastic garbage bags around their heads, one with a Halloween mask attached to it.
The Sheriff's Department identified the two women found Friday as Abigail Tapia, 27, and Jacqueline Toves, 26, who shared an address in Long Beach. Authorities said the deaths were being treated as homicides and autopsies were scheduled, but they declined to release other information.
The women were staying at the Gorda Springs Inn here, in the Big Sur region, known for mammoth cliffs and stunning ocean views.
Hotel workers found the bodies lying side-by-side in a bed with black plastic garbage bags bound around the women's heads with duct tape.
Both women had their hands bound with tape as well, and one of them wore a grinning Halloween mask over the plastic bag, said Leonardo Flores, an employee who saw the bodies. Another feathered mask lay nearby, he said.
"On one of the women, the tape looked more loose on the neck," said Flores.
The women checked into the inn Oct. 3, owner Sherwin Miller said, renting a $220-a-night rustic cabin with a fireplace and porch. The women had declined housekeeping service during their stay; staffers entered the room after they failed to check out Friday.