- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)46
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)39
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
- Man accused of pointing BB gun at Chaffee resident (04/26/16)2
Flooding closes U.S. 71 in Bates County south of Kansas City
SPRINGFIELD, Mo. (AP) -- U.S. 71 is closed because of flood waters in Bates County about 75 miles south of Kansas City.
The Missouri Department of Transportation said Tuesday the flooding shut down a stretch of the four-lane highway from just north of Rich Hill to the Vernon County line.
A detour is available via Missouri 52 and 13 and U.S. 54.
Bates and Vernon counties are on the border and have been hit by runoff from Kansas flooding that has swollen several rivers more than 10 feet over flood stage.
About a dozen smaller county and state routes were also closed by high water in the two mainly rural counties.
At least six homes were destroyed and three more evacuated due to flooding in Bates County since Sunday.
On the Net:
National Weather Service in Springfield flood predictions and river data: http://www.crh.noaa.gov/ahps2/index.php?...
Missouri Department of Transportation flood conditions: http://www.modot.mo.gov/floodrpt/rc0017c...