- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)47
- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says cops’ good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
Learning briefs 7/3/07
n Jason Delgado, Amanda Dumey, Brooke Heischmidt, Abby Moore, Amy Shinn, Rachael Unterreiner and Joseph Van Nostrand, all of Cape Girardeau; Jacie Hartle, Amanda Jacobs, Katie Kassel, Sarah Luehrs, Erin Mayfield, Matthew Morris, Sarah Nenninger and Alisha Soemo, all of Jackson; Hailey Ponder of Oak Ridge; and Christina Hendricks and Amanda Noble, both of Advance, Mo., have been named to the spring semester dean's list at Missouri State University in Springfield, Mo.
n Sarah Hinkebein of Jackson has been named to the dean's list for the spring semester at St. Louis College of Pharmacy.
n Emily Henderson, Jessica Johnston, Andrew Lanpher, Sara Meystedt, Robin Phelps, Stacy Vogel and Jessica Wilkinson, all of Cape Girardeau County, were named to the spring semester dean's list at Murray State University in Murray, Ky.
n Laura Berkbigler of Perryville, Mo., has received a Charter Collegiate Scholarship Award from Charter Communications. A recent graduate of Perryville High School, she is the daughter of Glenn and Betty Berkbigler of Perryville.
n Zachary Hudson of Cape Girardeau, a student at the University of Missouri-Columbia, received a 2007 scholarship award presented by the David Birenbaum Scholarship Fund of the American Association of Bioanalysts. Hudson is the son of Roger and Elizabeth Hudson.
n Ryan Vangilder, son of Mr. and Mrs. Scott Vangilder of Jackson, graduated in May from the University of Missouri-Columbia with a master of business administration degree in finance.
n John Steffens of Frohna, Mo., graduated magna cum laude from the University of Missouri-Columbia in May with a bachelor of journalism degree.
n Jill Knehans, who attended high school in Hudson, Fla., graduated with honors in May from the Pennsylvania College of Optometry with a doctor of optometry degree. She is the granddaughter of Ida Hartle and the late Troy Hartle of Jackson and the late Jack and Dorothy Knehans of Cape Girardeau.
n Dr. Larry Choate, president of Shawnee Community College in Ullin, Ill., has announced he will retire effective Dec. 6. He has served 17 years as vice president and three as president of Shawnee Community College.
n Science Day 2006, a program involving numerous schools and sponsored throughout the region by KFVS12, received a Silver Dome Award for best community service by the Illinois Broadcasters Association. Earlier this year, the Heartland Science Lab and science reporter Jason Lindsey's story on Science Day 2006 earned awards from the Missouri State Teachers Association.
Garden endows 2008 scholarship to Southeast
Old Town Cape has announced that the Old Town Cape Scholarship Garden has reached its $10,000 goal to endow a scholarship at Southeast Missouri State University. The first scholarship will be awarded in 2008 and then annually after that. The downtown garden was started in 1999 to raise money to set up the scholarship.
-- From staff reports