- Jackson man to cast electoral vote for Trump; others trying to dissuade him (11/29/16)51
- Man killed by vehicle had been charged with domestic assault (11/30/16)
- Former Cape council member dies, remembered as 'wonderful public servant' (11/29/16)1
- Hotel chain president: City should regulate short-term lodging (11/27/16)16
- Woman accused in three robberies disguised herself as man (11/29/16)5
- Post-election taunts reported at Jackson schools (12/2/16)25
- Officers: Delta man dies during domestic dispute (11/28/16)1
- Business notebook: New store shows faith in Scott City district (11/28/16)
- Missouri chamber to honor Cape's John Mehner (11/30/16)6
- Men who pulled father, son from burning car near Naylor honored by highway patrol (12/1/16)
U.S. general: North Korean missile tests a threat to South
SEOUL, South Korea -- The top U.S. military commander in South Korea said today that last week's North Korean missile tests were provocative and a threat to Seoul.
Gen. B.B. Bell said that although he welcomed moves by Pyongyang to live up to its commitment to dismantle its nuclear program, the communist country still retains the capability to attack Seoul with conventional artillery and special forces.
"This is a very real threat which cannot be ignored," he said.
Last week, North Korea test-fired three surface-to-surface missiles that landed in the North's territorial waters, according to Defense Department officials. It was the third time in a month that North Korea has test-fired a short-range missile, following launches May 25 and June 7.
Also last week, North Korea said it would move to carry out a promise made in an agreement in February with China, Japan, Russia, South Korea and the U.S. to shut down its nuclear reactor and allowed U.N. inspectors to visit the facility.
"We are all very hopeful that the North Koreans will live up to the agreement they have made," Bell told reporters at the National Press Club, referring to the February accord.