- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)37
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Ray's of Kelso, Plaza by Ray's to change ownership; Fonn to buy enterprise (04/20/16)3
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)4
- Cape council approves nearly $1M in park, sculpture projects with little public discussion (04/22/16)37
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Tanker truck catches fire near Oak Ridge (04/24/16)7
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
Church briefs 6-30
Musical 'Spirit of America' at East Cape Baptist
The East Cape Baptist Church will present "The Spirit of America," a musical with synchronized video, at 7 p.m. today and 10:30 a.m. Sunday.
Day of prayer for America held today
A group of Christians will gather at 10 a.m. today at the Common Pleas Courthouse, 44 North Lorimer St. (near the gazebo) for a multidenominational day of prayer in preparation for celebrating America's independence. David Burke, a jail minister and leader of a home fellowship group, will host the event. The Day of Prayer for America welcomes the public to come from 10 a.m. to noon for testimonies of answered prayer; from noon to 2 p.m. for Scripture reading, 2 to 4 p.m. for worship and 4 p.m. to pray. The event will continue as long as there are people who want to pray and celebrate religious freedom.
Patriotic celebration planned at Jackson
First General Baptist Church of Jackson will have a patriotic celebration at the 8:30 a.m. and 10:45 a.m. worship services Sunday. Special honor will be given for those of the church and the extended church families who have served in the military past and present. The church is at 11506 S. Farmington Road. Children's church and a nursery will be provided.
Bluegrass singer Guy Stephenson to perform
Gospel bluegrass singer Guy Stephenson will be in concert at 7 p.m. July 7 at Marble Hill United Methodist Church. The concert is free; a love offering will be accepted. Stephenson was part of Bill Monroe's group, The Bluegrass Boys, performing with them at the Grand Ol' Opry and recording on the Bean Blossom album. He has appeared on national television and has released his own CDs, including "The Power of Prayer."
Franciscan fraternity to meet July 7
St. Padre Pio Franciscan Fraternity will meet at 9:30 a.m. July 7 in the Pastoral Care conference room at Saint Francis Medical Center. For information, call 651-8310 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Centenary's pastor honored by Rotary
The Rev. Jeff Long, pastor of Centenary Methodist Church, was named the Rush H. Limbaugh Sr. Rotarian of the Year by the Rotary Club of Cape Girardeau, District 6060, Club 448.
Wesley UMC introduces new pastor from Jackson
Wesley United Methodist Church of Fruitland has a new minister, Dr. Barry E. Winders. Winders is a missional coach and consultant for Ministry Indicators of Jackson. He has written two books and offers coaching to small and midsized churches of various denominations. Winders and his wife are from Jackson and will be living in the church parsonage in Pleasant Lake Estates. Wesley UMC Fruitland, 142 Carnation Lane, is two miles from U.S. 61 on Highway 177. To learn more about Dr. Winders and Wesley UMC Fruitland, visit the Web site at www.wesleyumcfruitland.com
* Gloryroad Travelers and Bill Carter and Friends will be in concert at 7 p.m. at Shiloh Baptist Church in Villa Ridge, Ill.
* God and Country Day, 10:45 a.m. at Calvary Temple, 1725 East Highway 2 in Fredericktown, Mo.
* Christian Women's Club will meet for prayer at 8:30 a.m. at the Elks Lodge in Cape Girardeau. The meeting is open to all faiths.
-- From staff reports