- City suspends liquor license for downtown Cape bar; owners say they want to fix problems (3/26/17)3
- Mall aboard: Future requires evolution at West Park Mall (3/24/17)23
- Legal discrimination complaint, ethics complaint filed in Scott City government (3/22/17)13
- Business notebook: Cape native goes from farm to mobile-food operation (3/20/17)1
- Former Southeast softball coach sues Board of Regents; seeks damages and her job back (3/23/17)15
- Former Scott City administrator: 'I was forced to resign' (3/21/17)6
- Triplett manslaughter case set for July 2018 (3/21/17)2
- Two people found dead in Advance house fire (3/21/17)
- Two Cape men charged with second-degree murder of Grandi (3/21/17)2
- Two local lawmakers back charter school bill; Perryville lawmaker objects to measure (3/19/17)24
Remember which party undercut Social Security?
To the editor:
I would like to know if the Southeast Missourian is a leftist political rag, like the Los Angeles Times and the New York Times, or a source of truthful information.
Which party took Social Security from an independent fund and put it in the general fund so Congress could spend it? It was Lyndon Johnson and the Democrat-controlled House and Senate.
Which party put a tax on Social Security? It was the Democratic Party.
Which party increased the tax on Social Security? It was the Democratic Party with Al Gore casting the deciding vote.
Which Party decided to give your Social Security money to immigrants? That's right. It was the Democratic Party. Immigrants at age 65 get Supplemental Security Income and have never paid a dime into the system. This costs us millions of dollars.
After doing all of this, the Democrats turn around and tell you the Republicans want to take your Social Security away from you. The worst part is that people forget who did what.