- Peter Kinder resigns federal agency post, concludes position unnecessary and waste of tax dollars (6/16/18)2
- Longtime downtown Cape bartender Marcellus Jones remembered by friends (6/12/18)2
- Committee to start planning process for indoor aquatic center in Cape (6/20/18)1
- Stormy Daniels to visit East Cape Girardeau (6/13/18)20
- Southeast to spend $150,000 to refresh brand with Ohio firm (6/19/18)6
- A community rallies behind Honorable Young Men's Club (6/16/18)1
- New urban dance studio opens on Broadway (6/15/18)2
- Jackson natives compete in 260-mile canoe race (6/16/18)1
- Mother, child reportedly hit by car in Cape Girardeau (6/18/18)
- Neal Boyd blessed us all with his God-given talent (6/19/18)
Remember which party undercut Social Security?
To the editor:
I would like to know if the Southeast Missourian is a leftist political rag, like the Los Angeles Times and the New York Times, or a source of truthful information.
Which party took Social Security from an independent fund and put it in the general fund so Congress could spend it? It was Lyndon Johnson and the Democrat-controlled House and Senate.
Which party put a tax on Social Security? It was the Democratic Party.
Which party increased the tax on Social Security? It was the Democratic Party with Al Gore casting the deciding vote.
Which Party decided to give your Social Security money to immigrants? That's right. It was the Democratic Party. Immigrants at age 65 get Supplemental Security Income and have never paid a dime into the system. This costs us millions of dollars.
After doing all of this, the Democrats turn around and tell you the Republicans want to take your Social Security away from you. The worst part is that people forget who did what.