- How to save a life: Lifeguards resuscitated young girl at Cape Splash (8/17/17)2
- Woman's post about 'Back the Blue' sign in Jackson coffee shop prompts firing from nearby bar (8/15/17)11
- Chaffee man charged with attempting to have ex-wife killed (8/20/17)3
- Former Chaffee officer faces DWI charge (8/20/17)2
- Scott City school chief gets raise, while some teachers don't (8/17/17)6
- PBS crew filming in Cape; Glenn House to be featured (8/17/17)
- Jumbo size: Rhodes 101 sets a world record with 15-foot, 4,700 gallon drinking cup (8/21/17)3
- Scott City Council reinstates police chief (8/16/17)1
- Unions deliver signatures to block right-to-work in Missouri (8/20/17)40
- Woman dies in house fire in Cape Girardeau County (8/16/17)
Remember which party undercut Social Security?
To the editor:
I would like to know if the Southeast Missourian is a leftist political rag, like the Los Angeles Times and the New York Times, or a source of truthful information.
Which party took Social Security from an independent fund and put it in the general fund so Congress could spend it? It was Lyndon Johnson and the Democrat-controlled House and Senate.
Which party put a tax on Social Security? It was the Democratic Party.
Which party increased the tax on Social Security? It was the Democratic Party with Al Gore casting the deciding vote.
Which Party decided to give your Social Security money to immigrants? That's right. It was the Democratic Party. Immigrants at age 65 get Supplemental Security Income and have never paid a dime into the system. This costs us millions of dollars.
After doing all of this, the Democrats turn around and tell you the Republicans want to take your Social Security away from you. The worst part is that people forget who did what.