- Cape teacher accused of assaulting student at football game (10/23/16)41
- Pedestrian killed during traffic collision on I-55 (10/23/16)9
- Scott County Sheriff Rick Walter faces challenge from criminal investigator Wes Drury (10/21/16)8
- Shooting injures two people in Cape early Tuesday (10/19/16)34
- 18-year-old killed in one-car crash Thursday morning (10/21/16)1
- Man arrested after dispute at school spurs brief lockdown (10/21/16)6
- 'I feel for them' (10/20/16)1
- Hundreds turn out for VintageNOW fundraiser (10/23/16)3
- Crews are working on the new Drury Hotel (10/21/16)4
- Benton man accused of statutory rape, selling pot (10/20/16)1
Former NY cop sentenced in traffic-stop strip scandal
CENTRAL ISLIP, N.Y. -- A former police officer who forced four women to strip during traffic stops was sentenced Friday to the maximum term of five years and three months in prison.
Frank Wright, 36, pleaded guilty in April to violating the women's civil rights by forcing them to take off their clothes after pulling them over for traffic violations. In one case, prosecutors said, he forced a woman to walk home wearing only her underwear.
Court documents filed by federal prosecutors in February accused Wright of mistreating an additional nine women while on patrol on Long Island's Suffolk County between 1998 and 2000.
Several women said they were driven to isolated locations, sometimes in handcuffs. Some were released without being forced to disrobe.