- Owner of Mary Jane Burgers & Brew in Perryville to open new culinary concept in Cape (9/15/17)3
- Man accused of setting fire to Delta bar; posted photos of it burning on Facebook (9/17/17)5
- McClure man accused of leaving children in hot truck while gambling in casino (9/19/17)1
- How the story of one dog is helping others (9/14/17)1
- New boutique store advocates for special-needs people (9/19/17)
- Retailer may come to Jackson; rezoning needed first (9/17/17)2
- Eyewitnesses testify about fatal shooting; men were using drugs, alcohol (9/14/17)
- Jury finds Harris guilty of murder, 3 other counts (9/15/17)4
- Planet Fitness to anchor Town Plaza shopping center (9/18/17)2
- Mo. conservation agents help fight fires in western U.S. (9/15/17)
Former NY cop sentenced in traffic-stop strip scandal
CENTRAL ISLIP, N.Y. -- A former police officer who forced four women to strip during traffic stops was sentenced Friday to the maximum term of five years and three months in prison.
Frank Wright, 36, pleaded guilty in April to violating the women's civil rights by forcing them to take off their clothes after pulling them over for traffic violations. In one case, prosecutors said, he forced a woman to walk home wearing only her underwear.
Court documents filed by federal prosecutors in February accused Wright of mistreating an additional nine women while on patrol on Long Island's Suffolk County between 1998 and 2000.
Several women said they were driven to isolated locations, sometimes in handcuffs. Some were released without being forced to disrobe.