- Obama shortens sentence of inmate from Cape (1/19/17)9
- Business notebook: Jackson salon owner also opens a clothing store (1/16/17)
- Area hospitals hope a box helps prevent infant deaths (1/19/17)6
- Jackson police describe night of anger, car crashes, drug possession by 18-year-old (1/22/17)5
- Two subjects of interest in 1992 homicide to take polygraph tests (1/15/17)8
- Meat-processing plant faces $70K penalty for Clean Water Act violations (1/17/17)4
- Cape SportsPlex contractor offers a look at the project (1/15/17)14
- Local students to perform with choir at inauguration (1/19/17)3
- Southeast to lose $3.5 million from state in budget cuts (1/18/17)21
- Subjects of interest in 1992 killing take polygraph tests; results not revealed (1/18/17)2
Speak Out 6/22/07
IT IS embarrassing to realize how many women will vote for Hillary Clinton because she is a female with no regard for her potty-mouthed disdain for anyone whom she regards as beneath her. That includes the Secret Service agents who must guard and protect her. To think that our future president could be elected primarily because of her gender is to think that our country's women are, indeed, more emotional than they are intelligent.
U.S. SEN. Ted Kennedy's words of support for the 1965 immigration bill are the same chapter and verse of his support for the 1986 amnesty and the 2007 immigration bill: "First, our cities will not be flooded with a million immigrants annually. Under the proposed bill, the present level of immigration remains substantially the same. Secondly, the ethnic mix of this country will not be upset. Contrary to the charges in some quarters, [the bill] will not inundate America with immigrants from any one country or area."
Water park support
I REALIZE all of the old, rich, white Republicans (you know who you are) in Cape Girardeau are scared to death of passing a sales-tax increase to pay for a water park, but surely there are enough young, liberal (not greedy) people with young children in this town to push it through. There's no way everyone in Cape Girardeau is worried about paying higher sales taxes on their new Cadillacs every other year, is there? The city needs a water park, at a minimum, to attract additional tourist revenue. Let's vote yes on a tax increase to get a water park built here. The city could use the water park's eventual profits to pay for future projects. Isn't economics a wonderful thing?
No money for weeds
I'VE NOTICED tall grass along most of the highways and streets in Southeast Missouri. The problem is that we pay too little in fuel taxes to fund additional mowing. I do not think anyone wants to see higher fuel costs, so we are just going to have to deal with the tall grass.
AS A police officer, I am appalled at the fact that Dennis McDonald is going to receive five days of shock time in the local jail for having a sign hanging outside his business. I have observed drug users, thieves and other criminals receive lesser sentences. What a complete waste of time in the criminal-justice system.
Listening to parents
THE SCHOOL board is back at it. Board members are not listening again. They don't want to listen, but they want us to approve bonds. This is one parent who will not vote for any more bonds. I will vote to elect new people when its time. Mr. Bertrand and Mr. Reinagel are the only ones who have any guts and convictions. They are the true mouthpieces for parents.