- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)47
- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says cops’ good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
Club news 6/13/07
VFW Post 3838 Ladies Auxiliary
The May meeting of the VFW Post 3838 Ladies Auxiliary was presided over by Sheila Allen, president. There were 21 members with 17 officers present. Pro tem officers were Jewell Lincecum, conductress, and Carolyn Burton, guard.
New members presented and accepted were Barbara Rothweiler, Karen Yoder and Karla Burgfeld. They were all recommended by Georgia Burgfeld.
The minutes of the previous meeting were read and approved.
Communications were received from the National General Order 5 and Department General Order 9. Also, a letter was read from the district president congratulating new officers and asking for support for the coming year.
Committee reports were given.
* Veterans and family support: There was a discussion regarding Buddy Poppy sales.
* Cancer: Members were reminded to bring bottles of anything, i.e., wine, ketchup, shampoos, etc., for the blind drawing at the department convention. Raffle or sale items will be needed for the department cancer booth.
* Hospital reports: Lincecum asked for assistance in making the Heroes cloths.
* Membership: 13 more members are needed for 100 percent. Help is needed to contact those have not paid for 2007 and to recruit new members.
* Trustee: Sandy Goodheart reported the bills in order and moved they be paid. Wanda Blankenship seconded the motion, and it was carried.
Many compliments were received on the good steaks that were served on steak night.
A list of 22 delegates for department convention has been sent in, and delegates' credentials are available.
The 7 p.m. exercise class has been canceled until fall.
Officers were installed for 2007-2008 by Debbie Griffin, installing officer. They are Allen, president; Judy Biester, senior vice president; Blankenship, junior vice president; Griffin, treasurer; Carol Moore, chaplain; Retha Popp, conductress; Carol Burton, guard; Goodheart, three-year trustee; Sharon Polito, secretary; Glenneta Vogelsang, patriotic instructor; Phyllis Dodds, historian; Phyllis Jackson, color bearer 1; Dodds, color bearer 2; Georgia Burgfeld, color bearer 3; Marilyn Mayfield, color bearer 4; Judy Thrower, flag bearer; and Dorothy King, banner bearer.
Allen was presented her past auxiliary president's pin, and Vogelsang was presented a past auxiliary treasurer's pin.
Blankenship made a motion to provide a bicycle to the library as a prize for the summer reading program. The motion was seconded by Biester and carried.
The next meeting is at 7 p.m. Thursday. Refreshments will be a covered dish.
The auxiliary will provide meat.
-- From staff report