Vacation Bible schools begin in area
* Bethany Baptist Church in Cape Girardeau and Jackson's First Baptist Church will offer "Game Day Central: Where Heroes are Made" at their vacation Bible school sessions. Bethany's annual vacation Bible school will be held this year from 6 p.m. to 8:45 p.m. June 18 through 22. For more information, call Bethany Baptist Church at 335-8622. Jackson's First Baptist Church's vacation Bible school session will run from 8 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. June 25 through 29. Ages 3 years through grade six are welcome. To register at First Baptist, visit www.firstbaptistjackson.com or call 243-8415.
* Vacation Bible school at Zion United Methodist Church will have the theme "Lift Off, Soaring to New Heights with God." Sessions begin with a meal at 5:30 p.m. and activities from 6 to 8:15 p.m. June 18 through 22.
Whitewater church offers seminar on Islam
First Baptist Church of Whitewater will present Usama K. Dakdok, a Baptist pastor born and raised in Egypt and raised in Muslim schools, in a weeklong series beginning at 10 a.m. and 6 p.m. Sunday and continuing through Saturday every day at 7 p.m. The presentations are structured to help Christians "join in understanding the Muslim faith and pointing them to Christ."
Recognition for married couples held at Trinity
Trinity Lutheran Church of Cape Girardeau will honor all couples who have been married 50 years or more at its services today and tomorrow. A group photo will be taken after each of the services.
New McKendree concert to benefit NASV
New McKendree Methodist Church South Campus in Jackson will hold a concert at 6:30 p.m. June 24 to raise money for Network Against Sexual Violence. Performing will be Kelsey Gjerstad, Hannah Walker and Hannah Rice. Admission is free; donations will be accepted. For information, visit www.newmckendree.org or call 2725-8611 or 243-8487.
Hobbs Chapel UMC plans fish fry
Hobbs Chapel United Methodist Church will hold a fish fry at 6 p.m. June 16 in the activity building.
St. Maurus-Biehle picnic planned for June 30
The Biehle Picnic will be held at St. Maurus' new air-conditioned, handicapped accessible hall from 2 to 11 p.m. June 30. A supper of fried chicken, dressing and kettle beef will be served from 3 to 7 p.m. A lunch stand serving burgers and fries will be open from 11:30 a.m. to 10:30 p.m. There will be bingo and other games, face painting and a tractor pull that starts at 2 p.m. Live music by Mike Enert will be from 6 to 11 p.m. The Rev. Anthony Dattilo will celebrate Mass at 4 p.m.
* Singles Reaching Out, for single people of all faiths, will spend the day at the Tower Rock Winery in Altenburg-Frohna, from noon to 6 p.m. For information and directions, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 243-4214.
* Homecoming at St. John's United Church of Christ in Jackson. Lunch begins at 11:30 a.m. A meeting of the Cemetery Association will follow.
* Community Sing, 6 p.m., Jackson Park band shell. Five local churches will participate. Bring a lawn chair or blanket.
-- From staff reports