- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)49
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says copsí good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Hopper Road to close for months during construction of Veterans Drive (04/27/16)9
There's nothing quite like the baby's first words
Cute. Real cute.
I hope you're all satisfied. Did you make all of those Cubs fans proud?
I'm usually a quiet baby, and I try to keep to myself way up here on top of my lonely billboard on one of Cape Girardeau's busiest streets, but now I'm on the verge of tears. I won't take it anymore.
Take this Cubs hat off my head.
Have you seen this thing? Of course you've seen it. You can't miss it. It's almost the size of Rush Limbaugh's ego.
Steve Bjelich is the CEO of St. Francis Medical Center, and I guess you could say he's my boss. He is also the one responsible for my newest head gear. From what I hear, he's from Chicago.
It's not an excuse, though. He may be from a Cubs town, but he lives in a Cardinals town now. If a player is traded to a different team, he doesn't root for that team to beat his new team.
And did he ask me if I was a Cubs fan? No.
This is like living in the Bronx and rooting for the Red Sox -- it just doesn't work that way. I haven't seen my second birthday yet and already I know the difference between right and wrong.
Usually babies just say "da da" for their first words. I must say I concur with the baby -- it took the words right out of my mouth. Hey, did you know some restaurants use red on their menus or in their decor because red is said to stimulate one's appetite? But blue (as in Cubs blue), however, is not used because it is generally associated with mold and raw food.
While I settle the baby and put him to bed for his nap, check out your week ahead:
There's a lot to be excited about if you're an NBA fan this year. Here's your chance to get a sneak peak. The defending NBA champion San Antonio Spurs travel to Memphis and play the Grizzlies. Tip-off is at 2 p.m., so you'll have to take the day off.
Throw out the records and everything else. These are just two teams that don't like each other. This one is going down to the wire, so bring your Maalox. Jackson at Central at 7 p.m. There is no football rivalry in the area that compares to this one.
If you like high school soccer, its going to be a great weekend. Notre Dame hosts Springfield Glendale at 5 p.m., Central hosts Columbia Hickman at 7 p.m., and Jackson hosts Kickapoo at 7 p.m. Keep reading, because all three visiting teams switch tomorrow.
Speaking of rivalry games, this one will be close too. Some think this is the year Missouri could beat Nebraska. It's going to be tough against the Blackshirts defense. Nebraska at Missouri at 6 p.m.
David Wilson is a Southeast Missourian sports writer and student at Central High School.