The facts on Martina
Friday, June 1, 2007
The Southeast Missourian was unable to arrange a phone interview with Martina McBride in time for the publication of the Arts and Leisure section. But in honor of her Thursday night Show Me Center appearance, we've assembled these facts about the attractive country star.
* She was born Martina Schiff in Sharon, Kan., July 29, 1966.
* She sold T-shirts at Garth Brooks' concert before becoming a country singer herself.
* She moved to Nashville with husband John McBride in 1990.
* Her first album, 1992's "The Time Has Come," wasn't commercially successful.
* Her song "Independence Day" is the theme music for Sean Hannity's radio show.
* She's the spokeswoman for the National Network to End Domestic Violence.
* McBride has won four Country Music Association and three Academy of Country Music "Female Vocalist of the Year" awards.